Comparisons...

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by kingsson, Dec 1, 2008.

1. kingsson

kingsson Heavy Load Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    We've all heard the stats about how many will talk about a bad experience vs. a good one. I have noticed something here that we also see in how the "news" is made rather than reported. Any given time, you can come on and see there are at least twice the number of people viewing on the "report a BAD company" side than there are viewing on the "talk about a GOOD company" thread. I am no PollyAnna, but this seems to show how negative our industry and culture can be. I prefer to see the GOOD experiences people have had, even the eternal optimists - like the one who says that "X" company is a GOOD company when EVERYONE knows they are delusional! :biggrin_25519:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gonzo_

Gonzo_ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Clayton, NC
    It's not as simple as "good" vs "bad".. Not everyone thinks pulling a reefer is good not everyone loves to tarp or even wants to pull a flatbed.. get my drift.. So how can anyone say 1 company is either? I do say that generaly all the mega carriers are basicly the same.. Just throw them all in a big hat and shake it up.. One is basicly the same as the rest!!

Whatever company.. JB, SNI, Stevens, Swift, Werner, TMC, Maverick.. They go through drivers like crazy.. Look at their turnover rates.. 110% a year or more??

4. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    Allot of that turnover is due to the overwhelming number of new drivers that look at the company they start with as a chore, and doing time.
    If more will go into there first company without there heads in the clouds, and with an optimistic goal (to stay with the company) more would stay with these company's.

The grass is always greener though.
    How many of those that leave these company's do it to get out of trucking?
    Training company's have to count all the numbers as turnover. Many of the people that leave though do it because they realize that driving OTR is not the job for them.
    There is no way to look at these numbers and see the answer though. They would have to be broken down by time with the company and other info, to really give a good picture.

5. kingsson

kingsson Heavy Load Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Our company is small (30 trucks) with all experienced drivers. We've all "done our time" elsewhere and have mostly settled down. Our turnover rate is something like maybe 50%... although a bit higher this year because we had to turn our trucks down and freight is drying up a bit. Still, it's nothing like the 100%+ in lots of the large companies. I agree with Chrome Dome in that the loyalty factor is missing, and the first time things go wrong, drivers are looking over the fence. Of course, that works BOTH ways, and it does seem the larger companies lose site of their responsibility to the PEOPLE who move their freight - without whom NONE of them would have jobs.

6. kimmeegoose

kimmeegoose Light Load Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Indiana
    When I first started reading this forum, it was to find a company that hubby could work for out of school that would give him the hometime he wanted. I looked at the bad and good posts. I noticed that a lot of the bad posts are from guys that didn't do their homework before they took the job or are chronic whiners. I looked at the complaint behind the negative post and overlooked the rest. If I notice a driver never has anything good to say, I don't read posts from them even if it's in response to someone else. I try to look at the good in situations but I don't ignore the bad. Some companies have a lot more bad posts than good and I hope hubby stays away from those but I also know that there are 3 versions of every story, the companies side, the driver's side and then there is the truth. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

There are also some posts on the board that are just unbelievable. If it sounds too good OR too Bad to be true it probably is.

captK Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.