Complete NOOB questions... serious answers only please

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by meccariello, Dec 19, 2008.

1. meccariello

meccariello Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2008
    florida
    So. I have been in the bar business for some time and am seriously considering buying a truck and taking up trucking as an owner operator. (the bar makes enough money and is #### near on auto pilot)

I have the money to buy a truck. I have zero knowledge of the industry. (no guts no glory... how do you think i got into the bar business *grin*)

so anyway. this is my question(s).

1. as an owner operator, do you simply get hooked up with some kind of network and go around looking for loads to pick up and deliver? and if so, are there networks i can browse so i can see how owner/operators "find loads"

2. whats the pay per load?

3. do i really need a trailer or can i simply hook up to loads and take them where they are supposed to go?

i will be monitoring this thread for serious answers. (yea i know its kind of risky to just "buy a truck and go for it"... frankly, you dont go into the bar business with too much caution either. its all a gamble.
    i have no desire to work for another.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    The first thing you need to do is go to a school and get your CDL, and then spend at least a year driving for a company. This is not an industry you can learn on the fly or make it up as you go. You probably won't even be able to get insurance as a driver/owner with no experience at all.

You not only have to learn how to drive the truck with varying weight loads, in varying terrain, and in varying conditions (road and weather), you also have to learn how to properly inspect the vehicle, log your trips, be able to read a map, manage your time (trip planning), and you finances. You'll also have to learn how to scale your load for balance on the axles if it is a heavy load.

Going owner operator right out of the gate is not a wise move by any stretch. Blunt but serious answer.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  4. Northernblue

Northernblue Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2008
    Left Coast
    The trucking industry is currently falling flat on its face due to the current econemy. Just watch some of these threads and the writing is on the wall. Not trying to be to funny, but if i was you I would buy another bar, and stand by for the rush of truck driver business as they try to drown their sorrows. I think you would be money ahead right now.

5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I'd say take more than a year, at least 3 minimum, to drive as a company driver and learn the ropes. Hopefully we're talking about an outfit here that treats you decent as a company driver to where you can lease a truck on with them and start the learning process as an o/o there. That way you know their freight lanes - which should help you determine how to spec your truck - how to effectively communicate with your dispatch, the typical in's and out's of everyday trucking those sort of things. That's how I would do it.

There are all sorts of owner operators. Owners that lease a truck on with a company and pull the company's trailers, the easiest way. Owners that do lease purchase deals with a company. Or the owners who have their own their trailer running under their own authority, the hardest and most lucrative way, but also the toughest to cut your teeth on and easiest to fail at. You could buy a truck and do it on the fly. It's surely been done but you're gonna have to be on top of the business side of things and keep real close tabs. Knowing what a cutthroat business it is and always has been I wouldn't advise it.

I don't know what the numbers are but I'm certain the failure rate of newbies into this industry is probably almost as bad as the average %100+ turnover/retention problems that most companies have. If you're coming into it for money don't waste your time cause you're not gonna make it. If you have a love of trucking and always had that desire, maybe you can, but you better be sure of what you're getting into...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
    Brickman and Baack Thank this.
  6. meccariello

Dec 19, 2008
    florida
    believe me... the bar business is just as rough these days. it happens. it goes through cycles. the smart bar owners bank their money when they are riding fat... you know you will have a lean time sooner or later.

the bar business is very much feast or famine. you are making more money than you can spend for a few months followed by a few months of being so broke you cant afford to pay attention.

how do owner operators find loads? i guess i have the impression that you "own a truck" and get on some system where they find loads and deliver them here and there. is that correct?

7. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    I drove local delivery for a liquor distributor for 12 years,....If you think the tavern business is feast or famine,...Just wait until you learn a little more about trucking.....

This could be the worst time in history to get into trucking as a company driver,.....let lone as a O/O.........

Just my opinion as others may very...

8. LAD_Mavric

LAD_Mavric Light Load Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Midland, ON
    I will second all the others comments about the industry and how rough it is out here right now. Our company has be slowing every week lately and everything is way down, vans, flats everything. I'm moving to a new company in January and considder that a huge gamble. Let alone going right into an O/O position.

However I will answer your question the best I can.

How you find loads all depends on what you do. Will you be leased onto a company and run as an O/O for them? If this is the case their dispatch will usually set you up with "their" loads like they would for their company drivers. On the other hand if you go all out and go get your own authority then you're more less on your own t find loads. Some will have regular customers that they have made contracts with. While others will use load boards and other simmilar tools to get loads. However from what I have seen lately the load boards are not the best places to get loads if you like to be able to make any $$$. It's just how the industry is right now.:biggrin_2553:

Also you asked what the pay is per load. Again this will be different from load to load and it agan depends on what kind of O/O you are. Leased to a company they may have you at a set per mile rate. You could also be paid a percentage of what the load pays the company. If your on your own then your at the mercy of the load boards and load brokers loads can very a fair bit in value depending on what kind of freight it is or what kind of trailer needed ect... Some loads may pay $3.00/mi or even more where others may be as low as $1.20/mi or even less! I don't know how anyone could survive on that low a rate tho. Not on yourown anyway.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  9. meccariello

Dec 19, 2008
    florida
    i have a lot to learn. but it might be something to give a shot with. from what i can see i can get a truck for 50-75k... i just have to figure out how to get people to give me money for taking their stuff from here to there. it seems simple in theory.

you have a truck
    people need to get something from here to there
    you go here and pick it up
    take it there
    get paid more than it cost you in gas and upkeep.

if you break it down... it seems simple. in theory. maybe i have over simplified it. i just have to figure out

1. what kind of truck
    2. get one in decent condition
    3. how to find someone who wants something shipped from where ever i am at the moment, and try to get a load to pick up near where i am dropping off the first one... on and on it goes.

i have no kids and i am too old and cranky to worry about needing anything other than milk and cookies to sustain myself. hell my woman has a class b license from when she was a school bus driver... maybe i will let her do the driving and i will just be like capt. jean luc picard...

number one... "set destination chicago... engage" ill turn the sleeper area into a place for a recliner for my laptop to conduct business and find loads.

i will live on the road for most of the year and call in to make sure my bar is doing ok from time to time.

is it just that hard to find loads or people to pay to take their crap from a to z? i see tons of trucks up and down the roads in tampa

i figure... pay me a buck a mile and that will cover gas and incidentals... ok. maybe a $1.50 (is that about right for pay?)

at that rate, i would get $3000 cross country on what? $1500 in gas? bingo! 1500 profit... next run! or am i just naive?

10. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    First off, rigs run on diesel fuel, not gas. Second, good luck getting insurance. There are a couple of guys on here that actually have some experience in trucking, but not enough to get insurance for an o/o set up. You'll need more than $1 per mile to cover your expenses of running the truck, paying for fuel, and covering all of you other expenses such as a set aside fund for repairs and maintenance, etc. How do you plan on paying yourself? $1 a mile won't cover it.

Second, there are not very many places that are going to trust a complete rookie with their freight. I am working on starting my own freight brokerage, and I can say that I would never take a chance on booking freight to someone that has no experience.

Get you CDL, get some experience with a company, learn the ropes first.

Go poke around in the threads in the o/o section here on the forum and read. It's not easy even for experienced drivers to make a go of it as an o/o.

LAD_Mavric Thanks this.
  11. meccariello

Dec 19, 2008
    florida
    i see what you guys are saying. i just have been self employed for so long and so used to taking the risks.. i hate the idea of working for someone else. i figured it was like any business... sometimes you make money, sometimes you loose money... in the end you hope that you are generally operating in the black.

ill learn. i am a complete noob... more money than brains... then again, i started my bar with a refrigerator and a few chairs... added from there. it was exciting in a way. plenty of hassles along the way, but look at me now *grin*

in all seriousness. a few other questions..

1. how much do you have to get per mile to cover operating costs and fuel?

2. when searching for a truck to buy, i see many have half a million miles on them. is that alot? how many miles do these rigs run for?

3. what does insurance cost on a big sleeper truck?

4. whats it cost to own one, and what a "good price" for purchase?

5. whats average pay per mile (i assume thats how they do it)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.