Complete Psycho's

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TheyCallMeDave, May 22, 2018.

1. TheyCallMeDave

TheyCallMeDave Heavy Load Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Tejas
    Well, first of all here you go @Western flyer I've got a few minutes to kill so I'll give you a brief rundown on a serious/wacky situation that occurred recently since you were curious, which is just one more piece to the absolute #### show of a puzzle I call "seeking employment." Any of you fine gentlemen or ladies who have stopped by on any of my recent posts, will know the circus I've been going through trying to find LEGITIMATE employment lately. This might be get lengthy, but it will be well worth the read I assure you. I figured the this section of the forum would be the best place to put this, as you've all been around the block a time or two, and probably have the best advice when moving forward with a situation such as this.

Here we go, SO.....About 9 months ago, I came across a flatbed company about an hour and a half from my home. Running various types of metal and scrap, all intrastate, decent equipment and an average of 1000-1200 bucks a week, and home on the weekends, with the possibility of getting by the house once or twice during the week. I went to a safety meeting one weekend, met the other 10 flatbed drivers and the management/owners (who are just 2 country guys) and all seemed somewhat legit. (They also have a small refer division) I was actually shocked that they were a W-2 outfit among the plethora of 1099 companies withing a 100 mile radius of where I live.

Ultimately I turned them down (I never fully accepted the job as they knew I was currently employed at that time) because my boss at the time raised my pay when I told him I would be putting in my 2 weeks notice (he was a good guy so I wasn't going to just leave him hanging.) They said "no problem." Well about 6 months later, they called me out of the blue and tried to get me to come on again. I politely declined once again, as I was doing just fine with my current employer, who is the same guy I decided to stay with the first time I spoke with that outfit.

Well, fast forward to about a week and a half ago, and I see that company is hiring again. I give them a shout (because all seemed legit the first time I spoke with them and I didn't have any other companies on the radar so I figure what the hell?), and they seemed eager to have me come on. I agreed to attend another safety meeting that Saturday to see what all had changed with policies etc. I show up, and literally EVERY driver except ONE had jumped ship from the first time I went to a safety meeting, only 9 months ago, as well as 3 of the drivers that were there, had only been there a few weeks, so the turnover was pretty high in recent times. I left with a feeling of apprehension because of that, and the fact that a lot of the talk in the "safety meeting" led me to believe they had been having a lot of problems with the law, as well as a hefty underlying tone of "cooking the books" which I'm not unfamiliar with, and sometimes you have no choice, but I'm not going to do it daily, all day long, for 1000-1200 bucks a week. Oh yea, did I forget to mention before we all left the safety meeting, one of the owners was kind enough to say "Now if any of you piss me of or make a big enough mistake, I'll mess your record up so bad you won't get a job anywhere else." That about made my mind up, although I know that you probably can't just make false claims, but still, who says that?

Now, I know some drivers are not the brightest, but when you stay intrastate, and run the same highways every week, it's not real hard to become a target for law enforcement when your company is popular with the law, due to them constantly popping drivers for HOS violations and equipment violations. Well, I ended up getting a lead on a job in my immediate area that same day (surprise, surprise it didn't pan out ultimately), and decided to run with that, since the flatbed gig was just popping up a lot of red flags for me.

I gave the guys a call that Saturday night after talking it over with my wife, as I had not formerly accepted the job, and let them know I wouldn't be moving forward with them, but I appreciated their time and I wished them the best. As I said, I thought I had a opportunity locally to be home with my family everyday, making around the same pay. They weren't too happy, (I'm assuming because they can't keep ##### in the seats, and you'll see why in a minute) but the conversation was civil for the most part. Anyway, a few days later I started getting strange text messages form a number that I didn't recognize. Come to find out, it was the 2 managers/owners of that flatbed outfit, (they ultimately said who it was) and then for 2 days STRAIGHT they sent me threats, said extremely distasteful and nasty things about my wife (whom they had never seen) spoke horribly about my 2 year old son (whom they had never seen, which takes a real big man to do such a thing) threatened to show up in my city and even my house and do harm to us, I mean the list goes on and on.Seriously, I can't put into words how vile the messages were, you flat wouldn't believe it unless you read them for yourself.

I mean absolutely horrendous ####. All because I told them I wouldn't be coming to work for them. Now, I'm a decently sized 30 yr old man at 6'4 240 lbs, avid power lifter, boxer as well as dabbling in some mma. I can certainly hold my own, and I don't scare easy, but they really left me feeling unsettled when they brought my family into it. I felt like I couldn't leave the house and leave my family alone because they were talking so nutty, and I'm sorry but you just flat can't give anyone the benefit of the doubt anymore. People are flat crazy out there, and I wasn't going to engage in a physical confrontation just to "prove" something, (I literally can't afford an assault charge and all that comes with it) unless they ended up in my city, or at my house and posed a threat, then all bets are off. For 2 nights I sat in the dark in our living room watching cars that seemed to come by the house slower than normal etc.

So finally on the 2nd day I had enough, and finally told them "I've asked you to stop several times, and you continue to threaten and slander me AND my family. If you want to continue, you're more than welcome to share your feelings with my attorney." That was a few days ago,and I've yet to hear anything from them. By the way, I've got EVERYTHING they said in text, saved to both my phone, and to my personal computer, as well as screen shots etc with their names and numbers. As well as a voicemail from one of them specifically stating their name, what city they lived in, as well as saying the same type of nasty things as they did in text, as well as even saying the #### name of their company. It went something like this "Hey Dave you bleep bleep bleep, this is so and so down in so and so town from so and so company, you know who I am, bleep bleep, come to my yard and bleep bleep, I'll come to your house bleep bleep" End message. Real bright fellas.

I've yet to decide how I want to proceed with it, one of my child hood buddies is actually a detective in the city where I live and I've thought about speaking with him about it, or just going to straight to a lawyer, because I'm feeling pretty confident I could push this issue in a legal manner. That's not typically my style, but the whole scenario left my wife feeling uncomfortable and worried at home without me, and I think those guys need to learn a lesson, even if it's in a court of law so they don't do that to other employee's, or future POTENTIAL employee's.

I mean, WHAT. IN. THE. HELL? Look we've all been pissed in our lives, but one thing I would NEVER, and I mean NEVER do, is text another grown man such filthy, disrespectful things like we're in high school, as if I was trying to sound like the night stalker or some ####, and I CERTAINLY would never even have the thought cross my mind, to say such vile things about another mans wife, and child. That's just 100% pathetic, distasteful and absolutely horrible to do, and I D A M N sure wouldn't do it as the owner or OWNER'S of a BUSINESS. I don't care how mad you get, or what you're mad about, when you own and run a business you leave your ego at the door. But maybe that's just me.

All opinions and views are welcome. I hope you all are having a good start to the work week and be safe out there, the crazies are among us.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    Dang. That is some crazy ####e...
    I personally would be inclined to get some legal advice/action...
    Good luck with it, and stay safe...

4. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    Destroy them. I mean it, destroy them. These are 2 individuals whom have had everyone they've come across show their bellies and just walk away. if you have all this documented info, then use it to the fullest extent of the law. They will probably just file bankruptcy and do the ol' chameleon carrier routine as long as they think they can get away with it. but at least you can put a stick in their eye. with the threats against your family? I'm hoping there is some legal action that you can take regarding that. with them being a business, it may be a different playing field than if it was a private matter, if that makes sense

5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I think I would be taking the proof down to the local police station and starting there. Whether or not to file harassment charges is up to you, but I would certainly make them aware.

6. MagnumaMoose

MagnumaMoose Lost or Missing

Jan 18, 2018
    Agreed. The local police is the first people I would make aware of the situation, long before I would contact a lawyer. For several reasons, among them if something happens they would be aware of the threats to you. Another strong reason is to keep others in the community safer by passing on the information about the unethical, aggressive owners.

7. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    file a police report, WITH the cop YOU KNOW, then seek legal advice on how to sue them, if that is even a possibility. i think, but cannot swear to it, using a device like emails, texts, phone calls to make threats is against FCC rules, so seek a REAL lawyer on this.

best of luck, keep us up to date?

one more thing, (at least here where i live) some scrap metal haulers are mob controlled...they could very well be thinking you are going to rat them out, of what you "may have seen"...

some have LOUSY safety records, ever see those trailers either stuck under an over pass, or scrap metal all over the roads? in the news and internet all the time.

they can also be sick and tired of your BS for calling them back again for a job.....and leaving again!!

if something ain't right the first time, it ain't gonna be right the second, third, fourth time.....leave them be, to maybe be shut down.

maybe they are trying to teach you a lesson to bug off from now on....

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  8. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    My ex and I had a similar incident before I went into trucking. I won't bore you with the details. It went on for a few days and I let it go until threats of bodily harm were made. That's when I went to the local PD. A report was made and the case assigned to a detective. Our cell records and those of the other party were subpoenaed. In the process, the other party was contacted by the detective which resulted in the other party ceasing contact with us. A few months later, the other party was formerly arrested for harassment and threatening bodily harm. It went to court and he pled guilty. He got time served (about 5 hours). A month of probation. And an order to make no contact with us for 5 years. We never heard from him again.

If you feel threatened, which it seems you do, take it to the cops. Hopefully, they'll do their job and nix this thing quickly.

NavigatorWife, sevenmph, mtoo and 8 others Thank this.
  9. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    As I said before. You only work for these
    Companies when you ####ed up someplace
    else and need to kill some time to clear
    Your record.
    That's how I ended up working under these conditions
    Years ago.

That's why they think they can away with this stuff.
    Where else you gonna go, whataburger, Burger King.
    Almost all of these places are run by an older guy from the outlaw days who bought a few trucks.
    You're supposed to take pride in running 800 miles a day and using two logbooks. That's their mentality.

I'm not far from you. I live in Jefferson Texas, 15 miles north of Marshall Texas, in the country.
    I'm surrounded by these fleabag outfits out here.
    It's 12 bucks an hour all day long driving dump trucks, log trucks, belly dumps whatever. Complete garbage wages.

400 to 600 a week all around me. If you want to go over the road you might get $.30 a mile out of these jokers.
    I won't touch them, I work out of Dallas 180 miles away.

I tell people all the time, if you're going to change jobs, you better have three to $5000 in the bank. It might take months to find a decent trucking jobs.

I've been down this road you're on before, took me five months to find something decent, I literally went broke.
    Stop this madness, take that ride up to Grand Prairie and put in an application at Poly. You'll have enough money in two years to buy your own truck.

If you are going to jump on one of these 1099 jobs, I would check the safety record first. The one I was with had a terrible safety record, it was so bad that we got pulled in at every scale, every day and they checked her log books. It sucked.

I don't know how you and your wife are surviving the circus, I would be going crazy.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ok. You are experiencing what we call here in the South Terroristic threatening, Slander and a variety of other charges against the hostile parties.

Take everything you have saved as evidence and your complete situation and go talk to a detective.

The law will get things started.

You apparently have evidence of additional violations against yourself as a potential worker because I think there are not allowed to be threats made against your record or what have you. So that brings in the State Dept of Labor.

But first things first. Talk to your detective. Lay everything out on the table. There are more than several laws that has been broken and valid threats stand against yourself, family and home and so on. Those are laws that have been breached as well.

Bad guys don't know when to shut up. They are generally too stupid to stop digging. This WILL become a actual problem and threat that is valid when they finally decide they have had enough of you and move out against you, your home and family etc.

The use of text messaging, voice mails and so forth incurs yet another charge use of telecommuncations device in commission of a crime. Your detective will know where and how to start stacking charges against whom and so on.

When the Detective decides to move forward based on the evidence to the Prosecutor and so on things will get moving. You appear to have been injured by the threats so that's punitive damages. Your employment is affected so there is additional losses there in addition to punitive. You can possibly even see where this bad company will cause damages to the man you gave notice to and he raised your wages. That is the employer you want to stay with.

But because of all this, you are now in need of a detective, and a lawyer to process your situation and go from there in a court.

Noise and trash talking is one thing. But when they crossed several lines and started making threats or implied threats against you, your family and home and ability to be employed in the future it's not just a court problem but also a Labor Enforcement problem in the high side of whatever industry this is.

You best get things started with the detective and lawyer.

DO NOT whatever you do transmit outbound messaging in answer to their incoming texts, calls or what have you. Whatever continues to come in against your non answering silence you continue to turn into the detective and lawyer. The bad guys will probably continue to dig themselves deeper by these activities and threats against you. Its really important you do not respond at all to them. You gather information and evidence, make copies and turn it over to the lawyer, detective and ultimately the prosecutor.

DO be watchful. Your detective if any good at all, will put into the Police Department's computer a flag to keep a extra eye on you, your home address and so on. So if the bad guys DID follow through and hurt you, your home and your family then there will be enough to swear out a warrant and get them to jail where they will likely be for a long time. Not to mention civil action on your part alongside the criminal actions ongoing.

It gets bigger. You might have to draw up no contact, no trespass, protection orders and so on against the bad guys so that after that gets started whatever communications you continue to recieve from them is actually a more serious crime every time. Continue to collect, make copies and turn that into the detective and prosecutor and your lawyer.

Finally but not least. SHUT UP and get off the internet about this. You made a wonderful post with a very complete story. People will respond in a variety of ways. But do not be surprised if this particular thread is subponeaed and made part of the legal proceedings against the bad guys. ESPECIALLY if you have made comments or said bad things against them as companies. YOU might face suits of slander etc.

It's a mess. But you are in battle today. Get things started with your detective and find a lawyer and let him have everything you have as well.

When the courts get through with everything and punishments are handed out and taken care of you can come back and tell us how it went because it will be over and done with.

I personally have recieved threatening communications via text in the past, what I usually do instantly is turn that information plus origin phone number over to the Law. They have it on record at that point. All I need is a actual name from the bad guy to get things rolling against them.

I then change numbers. I change carriers and add applications or software to simply disallow anymore texts or phone calls from the now hostile numbers. The Law already has all that infromation up front so if my front door comes down and I have to blast the bad guy then all of that is there ready to go.

In my state people are not too bright. There is a whole stack of sentencing imposed against stupid people who make threats with a device for telecommunications usually. It's very common. All you have to do is present the evidence to the police station with names etc and they will arrange a formal hearing to determine if there will be formal charges brought against the hostile party and go from there.

Lepton1 and MBAngel Thank this.
  11. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    That is crazy. I would see what your detective friend has to say about it first.

And make good use of your 2nd amendment rights...

DSK333 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.