Compliance for hauling cars and farm equipment?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Black River Transport, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Black River Transport

Black River Transport Bobtail Member

Mar 17, 2021
    Just getting started and getting all my ducky in a row. I know since I am hauling vehicles I am registered as hazardous material. What if any documents do I need to carry for this. I am insured for it and I the paperwork stating that I am carrying the correct amount of insurance. Is there anything I’m missing? Just don’t want to find out too late is all. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    @brian991219 knows compliance better than most. He probably will help you out in a bit.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  4. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    As an auto hauler you are class 9 haz-mat and will not need any additional paperwork in the truck. You will need to create a haz-mat transportation security plan but that can be a simple one page document stating you will instruct your driver(s) to always lock the vehicles and take the keys, won't park unattended for long, etc. The security plan is kept on file at your office and may never be asked for. I do audit prep and maybe 1 in 10 of them ask for it if the only haz-mat is automobiles.

The minimum public liability insurance required to haul motor vehicles is $1 million. There is no cargo requirement but many shippers and brokers will require at least $50,000 per position on your trailer.

The farm machinery may be looked at as general cargo so the minimum public liability for that is only $750,000 however as a matter of practice most motor carriers have higher limits and tou already have the $1M anyway. The cost difference is insignificant. Where your insurance will get expensive is the cargo for the automobiles.

Banker and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  5. Black River Transport

Mar 17, 2021
    Thank you. I have 1mil and 250k cargo so I am fine there. I just wanted to make sure there were no certs I may need to carry in the truck with me. I will write up something simple for a plan to keep on the truck just in case.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  6. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    If you are going to move farm equipment, learn the rules for oversized loads, get wide load banners and portable lights to display on the wide load part. You will also need red flags every 10 feet on both sides. Every state has their own little quirks to oversize load permits.

7. Black River Transport

Mar 17, 2021
    Thank you for that tip. At the moment I will not be hauling anything oversized. Mainly smaller tractors and implements. But eventually I’ll get there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.