Compressor problems or worse ???

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by thecubantrucker, Jul 14, 2019.

1. thecubantrucker

thecubantrucker Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2019
    Ok good morning guys I have a detroit 12.7 60 series with 1.39m miles on it . So recently I realized there is oil underneath my dryer and air with some water like coming out of my hose inside the cab when I spray to clean floor. I started noticing as well I replaced the governor and it takes a bit to build up pressure to 150 and at times even going down the road at 1500 rpms it stays about 100 and slowly goes up to 150 I also noticed when idling for a while a few drops of oil coming out of the blowby tube. When I purchased the truck they told me it was rebuilt about 3 years ago dont know how true that is but going down oil pressure under heavy load is about 43-50 idling about 20 also im not really having to add oil to the engine not consuming aside from what's normal I've driven over 5k miles and only thing I added of oil was about an 8oz cup which I think it might be normal anyway guys I'm freaking out lol any advice

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    As far as the compressor goes did you unplug all the tanks and make sure they were empty? We get a lot of slow air build problems in the shop after the owner replaces the governor and the compressor....most of the time it's about three gallons of water in the tanks. I'm not saying that is your problem but it's a easy enough check that might work out for you. I don't know where ya live but here in Florida it's a big problem because of the humidity.

stuckinthemud Thanks this.
  4. thecubantrucker

Jun 2, 2019
    I'm in arizona but pretty much I travel to Houston crazy humidity and back home I did not empty them which I should start doing

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  5. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    It's worth a shot, I have charged plenty of guys a half hour labor for me to lay under their truck with a adjustable wrench for 10 minutes draining water after they spent god gnows how much throwing parts at it.

6. thecubantrucker

Jun 2, 2019
    Will do that today thank you as far as oil under the dryer and drops from the blowby that very well be the compressor itself right

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Replace the air dryer cartridge and the air compressor, the compressor is worn out and passing oil in the air.

Bean Jr. and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  8. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Yes the compressor is probably a lil beat like @Ridgeline said. It might pass less oil once the tanks are empty if they are full of water now. Much easier to compress air than a liquid.

9. thecubantrucker

Jun 2, 2019
    That what I thought luckly I found a brand new in the box sealed air dryer when I bought the truck lol but will replace the compressor the dryer and the break valve all new thank you

10. thecubantrucker

Jun 2, 2019
    You're right will be emptying the tanks and changing both compressor and dryer along with the break valve and all new fittings might as well thank you guys

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  11. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Start with draining the tanks and changing the cartridge like @Ridgeline said before you go out and start buying more parts. Start small and you may get lucky and get to save some money.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.