Con-Way Freight, Inc. - Ann Arbor, Mi.?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by birdtird, Feb 22, 2007.

1. birdtird

birdtird Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2007
    I was lured to Con-Way because they said they will pay me to work there while I'm in training. Does anybody know what kind of work and pay?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sentinel

Sentinel Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2006
    The Blacklands Of Texas
    Con-way LTL/Local does have a training program for new drivers (no previous CDL). They have a 4 hour a day training program and then 6 - 10 hours a day working on the dock loading/unloading trucks. Once you complete the training and obtain your CDL you will then earn regular driver status. Con-way does have a 2 year work contract for new students.

The pay will vary from location to location but as a student you are paid approximately 50% - 70% of regular driver pay. You will not be paid for the 4 hours a day training (unless they have changed that).

Keep in mind that Con-way does not have dockworkers. All drivers also work the dock loading and unloading trucks. In addition when it comes time to haul a load the more senior drivers are selected first and only if they pass on the load, or they have a lot of loads to haul, will you be given the opportunity to drive.

There are good and bad sides to this arrangement depending on what your expectations are. Personally I can find no bad side to the deal. You are paid for every hour you work, whether it is on the dock or driving. Driving is paid cpm style and is a good rate. Con-way generally runs a tight ship and runs lean on manpower. As such you will have ample opportunity for overtime and will be expected to work it as they need. In general you are home every night even if driving as their runs are terminal to terminal and are short enough to allow turn around and return to home. They run daycabs so if for some reason you are stuck away from home you will be put in a motel.

Check them out but make sure you obtain a full understanding of the job requirements. You may very well like the arrangement.

4. Road Dog

Road Dog Medium Load Member

Aug 1, 2006
    ConWay is also now running a truck load carrier division.53 ft.trls.road tractors with sleepers,the whole thing.

5. Sentinel

Sentinel Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2006
    The Blacklands Of Texas
    Currently Con-way truckload is hiring team drivers only with no current plans to run solo. The pay is good and requirements to hire on are not difficult. There must be at least one person in the team with one year experience. The nature of their operation is 100% drop and hook with all VERY time sensitive freight!

However, make sure you ask your questions very carefully and check it out thoroughly. It appears that they do no background checks, physicals, etc. until you come to their orientation. If they do not hire you they neither pay orientation pay nor transportation from whence you came! If you have any skeletons, absolutely any skeletons, in your closet then get it in writing they will accept it before you go because THEY WILL NOT HESITATE to cancel their offer at orientation!

6. Road Dog

Aug 1, 2006
    Sentinal.I have seen many ConWay trucks out there being operated by single drivers.And as far as all drop and hook,I have seen them waiting in line with the rest of us to be unloaded.Their equipment seems to be first class,but their drivers have as many complaints as any other company drivers.

7. karkip

karkip Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2007
    I am a driver for conway. they do run tight on manpower. in the linehaul operation(nights) you would work the dock until ready to drive. being a junior man you would drive maybe a hundred miles then work that dock until finished then drive home. they pay by the hour on the dock and by the mile on the road. you will be home every night. the city p&d operation (days) pays strictly by the hour. on city work they pay ot after 8 hrs. they do not pay ot on linehaul.

8. Sentinel

Sentinel Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2006
    The Blacklands Of Texas
    Road Dog,

Con-way truckload is the OTR division that runs teams and is Drop and Hook. The LTL division is short haul between Con-way terminals and the local Pickup & Delivery is probably who you ran into at the shipper/consignee docks.

The LTL and P&D operations are the ones who will be working the docks and driving. That is where they are hiring for new people and training them for their CDL's.

I've only had the pleasure to speak with a few of their drivers under uncontrolled circumstances meaning away from terminals, etc. They have been very happy but there will always be those that will have issues no matter the company.

When you stop to look at the deal they have it really is a good thing both LTL/P&D and Truckload. Had a partner for Truckload but the Con-way recruiter took so long to do any processing my partner went elsewhere. I tried to get into the LTL/P&D operation as you can't beat getting paid for all time if you don't mind the physical labor (I love physical labor). Not sure what happened there but after seeing the guys on the dock I would expect they are looking for Goliaths to work there. Kind of interesting as I am told they fork almost all cargo in/out of trucks.

9. Road Dog

Aug 1, 2006
    Sentinal,evidently a little mix up here.The drivers I have talked with are running solo,and hauling truckload freight.No different than what I am hauling for Roehl.I realize that they also have team operations,but their truckload division is simalar to any other over the road company.

10. Sabine

Sabine Bobtail Member

May 11, 2006
    I worked for Con-Way Truckload last year and they did have about 120 solo drivers. They have scaled way back on that, they have about 30 now.

They are an alright company to work for (Truckload), but for personal reasons I would not go back to them. EVER! That said, they have super cheap med. insurance, $9 a week for the driver, benefits are decent, if you drive team they want to to live in a shoebox, Volvo 670 for at least 3 weeks before hometime, at which point you want to kill your codriver. 61" sleeper is not conducive to team driving, no matter what they say.

Orientation is same as all companies, they do put you in a nice hotel and feed you well for those 3 days.

11. Road Dog

Aug 1, 2006
    Next time I have a pow wow with my youngest son I will post more info on ConWay.he is a terminal mngr.at ConWay.CCX

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.