Concern over eye exam

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RaiderK2, Jan 12, 2018.

1. RaiderK2

RaiderK2 Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2018
    I'm getting ready to sign on with May Trucking and I'm worry that I'll fail the eye exam at orientation should I even go?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jonrulerofearth

Jonrulerofearth Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Hueytown, Al
    If you need glasses, get them. Seeing is a big part of the job. Good luck

Dan.S, patsy, lagbrosdetmi and 3 others Thank this.
  4. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Your eyes have to be at least 20/40, with glasses if necessary. You cannot be color blind.

RaiderK2 Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Go and try to bluff you're way through it. Get some cheap Walmart reading glasses and then try their eye chart for practice. If that works, "Yeah, I wear glasses."
    That's what I wore for several years until finally getting prescription glasses.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    RaiderK2 and Jonrulerofearth Thank this.
  6. Jonrulerofearth

Jonrulerofearth Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Hueytown, Al
    Or, and I'm just spit ball'n here. See if they have a humor, show up with a cane and dark glasses for the test.

7. Broke_and_Hungry

Broke_and_Hungry Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Michigan
    If your vision is correctable, and money is preventing you from getting/upgrading glasses, contact your local Lions Club. They will likely provide the exam and glasses at no charge to you, especially if it is tied to future employment.

8. WiggleWagon

WiggleWagon Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Parked At The Fuel Island
    Better question is why are you worried? A little more detail will help an accurate answer. I know people that go in and wont even test without glasses. They say nope, cant see the letters clearly without them. Corrective lenses restriction on the license. No big deal. "Must wear corrective lenses while driving". If you need glasses, why would you not want to wear them anyway? Sight is kind of a big deal in this industry.

Balakov100, RaiderK2 and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  9. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I wear glasses. When ever I get a drivers exam and they ask me to read the chart without my glasses I tell them : “I know the top letter is an E, but I can’t read it.”
    I’ve had glasses since grade seven.

Woodys and RaiderK2 Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's everything.

Go see a eye Surgeon. You will pay a few dollars up front. However you WILL be looked at very carefully and if anything is going on he will find it and maybe fix it.

Prepare to spend some money on glasses. You MUST be able to see with both eyes with a clarity within DOT rules to drive a Semi Tractor. Certain medical issues can be detected in your eyes and certain situations will prevent you from qualifying to drive a semi.

Anyone can drive a car on one eye, not so with a semi. One of the reasons is that being able to measure distance with both eyes while aiming a 70+ foot vehicle into a dock far away. If you cannot measure distance then you cannot qualify.

Do not go round to wal mart eye glass doctors or the fancy lasik laser burners. That is not the time to be effing around with crappy quacks.

Tell the Eye Surgeon you are attempting to be qualified to drive a 18 wheeler with your eyes, glasses if needed. he WILL go over it very well. IF there is a problem that can be fixed he will talk to you about that.

RaiderK2 Thanks this.
  11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Google eye charts. Study them. Your vision will improve if you know what you are supposed to see.

RaiderK2 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.