Conestoga rear flap mod ideas for overhanging freight?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by sirjeff, Jul 21, 2017.

1. sirjeff

sirjeff Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Kelowna, BC
    Hey all just wondering if anyone has an easy, minimally envasive solution for keeping the rear flap of a roll-tite partially rolled up to allow for freight overhanging off the rear end? The trailer Im pulling has a quick draw kit.

I've thought of attaching a vertical clip on both ends (inside and out) 1/4 and 1/2 way up the flap as well as horizontal ones on the ends where those would be to somewhat secure it to the outside frame - thinking it would stay rolled up but just not sure if that would keep it from flapping around like crazy?

I refuse to subscribe to the theory I've heard from guys who have pulled trailers with this tarp system that say you can't be overlegnth!

Thanks in advance for any ideas y'all might have

cke and MJ1657 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    Maybe if you did something similar to the principal of horizontal blinds? Where you could attach a good cord (like 550 paracord) to the bar at the bottom. Then run the cord to the closest pipe/frame and either run the cord over it, or maybe drill a tiny hole and screw a small eye bolt on each side. Then when you pull the cords it should pull it up like a blind does.

Or, it might totally fail, in which case I will promptly say "well, what the hell did you listen to me for?!?? lol

cnsper, Shock Therapy and sirjeff Thank this.
  4. LoudOne

LoudOne Medium Load Member

Cord down both sides. Eyelets roughly 6-12 inches apart. Run the cord in front one hole behind next. Small pulleys at the top. Pull cord down will raise the flap and fold it flat. Secure cordage at bottom on both sides.

sirjeff, Ruthless and noluck Thank this.
  5. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    How long of a trailer are you pulling?

6. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    I'd just roll the flap down onto the load, pull the roller bar then just bungee the flap in place on top of the load. Most Roll-Tite systems I've used have holes punched in the bar at the bottom of the flap perfect for bungees to hook through. If you are paranoid about it coming undone, you could use a couple ratchet straps instead.

Honestly, I don't understand why a broker would book a Roll-Tite to move an over-length load. It defeats the purpose of the trailer.

sirjeff Thanks this.
  7. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Sure, but why would a driver/owner restrict himself to certain loads just because you have the roll-Tite? Defeats the purpose of running a business if you are turning down money.

8. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    You can get a roll up rear door for a roll tight that you pull up with a rope on one side. Similar to a window blind. As opposed to cranking it up with a pipe. Put a couple bungees on it to keep it from swinging and tarp the extended load conventionally.

sirjeff Thanks this.
  9. sirjeff

sirjeff Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Kelowna, BC
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. The trailer is a 53' step deck. I use it primarily for a 10-20 drop milk run for a large steel supplier we haul for. I've often got beams, plate, and rebar hanging off the back end to make room for the skids of aluminum and stainless closer to the kick....can never have the skids piled high to allow for fitting it all in at the back as the kick is loaded with 20-24' bundles of whatever. So far finding this type of system to be the muttsnuts as I'm sick of working under the tarps when a guys gotta bang out 10 or so drops in a day over several hundred miles.

The only problem with bungeeing the excess flap to the freight is it's often some random pieces sticking out preventing me to lay it down across the whole width of the deck. I like the idea of the cord and pulley.....gonna check with quick draw to see what that would cost for a new one as this rear flap has seen better days. In the meantime as a quick fix I think I'm going to try to put some clips on to keep it partially rolled up, then bungee it forward towards the inside.

So far I've been lucky, haven't had too crazy of a load the past couple weeks....i am dreading the week one of my drops orders a bunch of 60' beam!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    LoudOne Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.