Confidence on slick roads for someone new to trucking.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Flyingdriver, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Flyingdriver

Flyingdriver Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2020
    Walla Walla WA
    I've been driving 7 months now. I'm in Oregon running between Hermiston & Portland on I-84.

Last Thursday the roads were a bit dicey. 28 Degrees, snowing, & slush on the road. Even though I could see liquid spraying off of my tires & passing vehicles I was concerned about hitting an icy spot. I doesn't help that earlier in the week I had a Jeep roll over in front of me driving on I-84 when the temp was 37. I might add that my truck never slid around or felt like it wasn't getting traction.

I drove along at 50 MPH. No flashers. Two trucks stayed behind me for over 50 miles so they must of been concerned about the roads too. Meanwhile, trucks & cars were whizzing by me like I was standing still. I felt a little dorky driving so slow but felt comfortable & got home safely.

When I got to my Subaru for my 65 miles commute home, I still felt comfortable at 50 to 60. I bought the Subaru for it's all-wheel drive in June & it's been spectacular in the snow.

Here's my question. Without getting into which vehicle is best on slick roads do you feel more comfortable on slick roads in your personal vehicle or your big rig? Help me build my confidence.

alds Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    Big rig,the heavier the better

MOBee, 88228822, Gambosa and 8 others Thank this.
  4. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I had a similar experience on my 3rd week of being solo. I was going East on I-70 from Denver to Kansas. I started hitting numerous patches of black ice and it scared the bejeezus out of me. I ended up driving for about 35 miles at between about 15 mph and 25 mph before I got to the Petro in Colby, Kansas. By the time I got there, there were between half a dozen to a dozen of us in a little convoy of sorts all creeping along slow like that. It was reassuring to know I wasn't the only one. And, yes other cars and trucks were zooming past us at insane speeds for the conditions. And, we past about 4 of those trucks that ended up on the side of the road in the ditch while we creeper past them.

MOBee, Gambosa and alds Thank this.
  5. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    You're better off in a big rig. When driving in winter conditions, the less confidence you have the better off you are. you're always "on your toes" that way. Don't worry about feeling dorky for driving slow and getting your doors blown off, just remember that there's a good chance you'll catch up to them when they're wrapped around a tree.

snowlauncher, MOBee, 88228822 and 8 others Thank this.
  6. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    I'll drive a loaded big rig much faster in the snow than I will my 4x4 pickup. Weight is your friend in slick conditions.

Drive your own drive though. I'm a Wisconsin native and grew up on the south shore of Lake Superior in the lake effect snow belt. I have lots of experience in many different types of snow and a good understanding of how temperature effects traction on snow. I can also read winter road conditions far better than most. That means sometimes when you're going slow I might be in the left lane blowing your doors off. Your skill level and mine might not be the same so drive at a level that you feel comfortable with that matches your skills. That way we both make it home safe.

MOBee, Six9GS, Gambosa and 7 others Thank this.
  7. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I used to run milk up into eastern Wisconsin weekly from northern Michigan.

Been a mariner all my life before I started driving.

Eventually skill -Luck-and Over Confidence will meet that fork in the road in bad weather.

I always chose park it as soon as I could when conditions were turning to Krap.

Live to truck another day.

MOBee, MrTommy, Gambosa and 1 other person Thank this.
  8. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I by far feel more comfortable on bad roads in my rig... That is until the snow is 10+ inches deep, then I'm more comfortable in my pickup.

Dont worry about how others are driving too much... You drive to your own comfort and skill.

MrTommy, Gambosa, alds and 3 others Thank this.
  9. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    It ain’t a race.

Slow and steady increases your chances of getting to your destination.

I feel confident in the truck because of its weight and more rubber = better grip. Not sure if it’s scientifically proven but I’m pretty sure slow and steady plays a role in all vehicles driven in bad weather other then high winds. That’s when you Park it.

snowlauncher, Gambosa and alds Thank this.
  10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Big rig by far. The primary reason? The 18 speed manual transmission. I’ve ran the 9’s and 10’s, Super10’s, 9Speed Top 2, and the 13. Having the ability to split all the gears makes it feel as if I have much more control and finesse in icy conditions.

alds, Trucker Paul, nredfor88 and 4 others Thank this.
  11. tallguy66

tallguy66 Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2018
    For me it’s hard to say, I used to go out in a foot of snow for fun in my suv. Now wet roads are a concern to me. On flat ground I really like being 70+ k lbs in the winter.

alds Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.