Connecticut lawmakers pass truck-only highway user tax

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by drvrtech77, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Well the point of it all is it's more money that has to be put out to go to work. And it will go back to Consumers. You may think it's miniscule amount in that state but like the other person said another state will do this another will do that another will do that it's just like another tax the consumers will end up paying.

States are looking for a way to get more money. If they continue with their electric vehicle nonsense there are less people to pay fuel tax and they're going to be raising other taxes. They can say all they want they're not raising taxes.

Taxes are going up and people are going to pay for more things like a tax.

There is no difference.

drvrtech77 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Not all states copy one another. They may have a different way to raise taxes. This one just happens to hit home because we are all truckers. I remember checking into a hotel in Georgia, and the total per night was about 20 bucks more than the advertised price. That was when I was made aware of the hotel price. The thing is, if you're not traveling to Georgia, it don't affect you. I'm not even disagreeing with the fact that some consumers will take the hit. It will only affect truckers, and in my mind to a small degree. At least their government isn't putting the additional tax on residents like so many other states do.

4. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    The idea that some folks cannot comprehend the fact that tolls are another way of taxation… No wonder they keep pulling the shenanigans

Dino soar, JonJon78 and PoleCrusher Thank this.
  5. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    It's actually a way for one state to apply taxes to residents of another state.

If a load ships from WA to CT, the shipper in WA is paying the freight bill. The carrier charges more to the shipper to cover the added cost of getting in and out of CT. So now people in WA are paying a tax levied by the state of CT.

What so many fail to realize, is that every tax, no matter how it is structured or labeled, is paid by people.

6. drvrtech77

Mar 20, 2010
    Too many folks are are naive and ignorant on this...you’re exactly right...& in the end it’s the consumer who pays more for the goods that were shipped

D.Tibbitt, Dino soar and PoleCrusher Thank this.
  7. drvrtech77

Mar 20, 2010
    The article also states that up to 28,000 pounds will be 2 1/2 cents a mile… Not even an empty tractor trailer weighs light that so I’m guessing they’re probably going to turn around tack it up to around $.10 a mile

bzinger and PoleCrusher Thank this.
  8. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Milk/dairy trucks will be exempt and up there(someone correct me if im wrong) they weigh well over 80k lbs.

I read somewhere we the governor said " he's fine with trucks going around CT, and we don't need em'"

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  9. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    Some folks just never learn, keep electing Democrats = increasing your taxes and expanding government control.

CT is just copying what NY has been doing for years with their HUT, taxing by fuel & highway use.

drvrtech77 Thanks this.
  10. Travis05Lock

Travis05Lock Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Maine
    Well all I know is that in 2023 I'm ready to cast my vote for Republican lol. These Governor's are doing this right now. I believe is because they know its going to be their last term. And they are doing everything to destroy the state. I know my Governor that she put in order to get rid of shopping bags out of every grocery store, pretty much bring your own bag. And she has ruined some of our tourist spots. If there are any Mainer's you know whom I talking about. We just need more Governors like DeSantis honestly lol.

Dino soar and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  11. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I'm glad he's ok with that cause I don't need anything east or north of the NY line either ...they don't make anything there anymore and it's just a little prime example of how the northeast has done such a good job of running off its industry.
    One of my company's biggest customers is a medical supply company based in Franklin lakes NJ that has a plant in Canaan CT that I'd bet is soon to close as everything in NJ other than corporate has moved to four oaks nc , Columbus nebr, Holdrege nebr , and broken bow nebr .
    You would think these idiot northeast and California governors would get the hint that people are leaving in droves with the highest outbound move rates and the lowest in bound move rates.
    Complete morons they are .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.