Connecting 12 volt wires

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Final Drive, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Guy's what's your most efficient method of connecting 12 volt wires?

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Final Drive

Jan 21, 2015
    Don't get me wrong this works for awhile..

4. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Quality crimp and heat shrink connectors installed with the correct quality crimp tool is the most "efficient" way to quality repair the common electrical wire on today's automotive and heavy truck wiring.

That being said there are ways to make a higher quality repair, but most methods take longer and efficiency is lost.

Anything less up here in the rust belt is simply a waste of time and resources. If your gonna use an open butt splice you might as well use a household wire nut.

5. Final Drive

Jan 21, 2015
    Were do you get good quality heat shrink connectors?
    Was at the truck stop no quality just the norm..

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Personally I hate those heat shrink butt connectors. I find that no matter what tool I use to crimp them, the heat shrink over the barrel gets pierced. My go to are uninsulated barrel connectors and then slide a piece of quality heat shrink w/sealant over the uninsulated connector. Plus it has the added benefit of not being overly bulky like the heat shrink butt connectors.

7. Final Drive

Jan 21, 2015
    THANKS Guys next time im home im going to do my due diligence..

8. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    It may not be efficient in the short term. But I always clean the wire to clean copper, solder and heat shrink anywhere the insulation exposes the wire. And I never look at again.

The only exception is when the truck is headed to de-rig to get sold. Then I’ll use anything to make that piece of copper connect to the other.

You should be able to find a butane torch and a heat shrink (w/glue) at any parts store. The glue is inside the shrink tube and is activated buy the heat. Solder also there if you feel like going that far. And a jug of radiator cleaner (acid) to clean the wires if they are black or corroded.

Hulld Thanks this.
  9. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    You just hook the red wire to the...
    9CF44370-ED4A-485A-924C-606F29647333.gif

10. Raffito

Raffito Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2019
    Conroe
    That's the way to do it! All ways use the correct size connector for the wires you are connecting.
    Have to agree with Amodelcat, less bulky.
    The best way is to solder the wire and protected by heat shrink..And remember to secure the wire with cable ties after you are done.
    You can buy heat shrink connector online.

11. lwlevens

lwlevens Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2018
    My opinion is to solder the wires together then shrink wrap. No chance of moisture when soldering, unlike when using butt connectors.

HoneyBadger67 and Hulld Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.