Connex 4600 Turbo

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by landstar8891, Apr 6, 2013.

1. snowman_w900

snowman_w900 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2010
    I've never seen one of those. What's the mic look like that fits it?

shogun Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Didn’t you tell me you had your 4600 reworked to where it only swings 4 watts? Took the 2290’s out and put in a single final 2312?

4. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    A32658C2-01C0-4457-A7AB-07F67F9469A8.jpeg

That’s the YAESU mike. Others can be used, but it ain’t plug ‘n play.

EDIT: Just be aware that radios like these may not have the on-air “audio punch” that made Galaxy and others famous. The “big radio” sound heard by others. (You won’t be alone in wanting to remedy this if important).

And that listening to them is different as well.

CB is short-range communication. These radios are something else again, and are up to the planetary distance problems CB isn’t designed to deal with (thus cost).

C5BE6BBC-C7C9-43BD-AE84-7AF070472075.jpeg

TAC COMM TRC2 Radio Carrier.

Different radio unit, and comes with top plate and other options (That swing stand is optional). Radio ALWAYS protected.

It’s what I’ll use for travel trailer install. Locked under cabinet for travel, pull out to set on table to work.

My experience with big truck CB is that gear is damaged moving in or out of the truck. A million miles reliable, but didn’t make the fifteen mile trip home without getting banged up.

No good reason not to use it dashtop in big truck. Industrial Velcro. Bury it in sleeper or take it home. (Same with any expensive radio/amp, etc).

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  5. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    642B4C17-632C-49DE-B4BE-C4F369AD3E93.jpeg

This is two of the TRC-2. Portable base station as I try out different things.

At tech bench, so started to pull apart to verify working condition.

That’s a Galaxy 99v2 for size reference.

The TRC-2 is wider than the #1 model. Put everything away inside the carrier to travel.

6. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Definitely true out of the box, as well as 99% of the time. A good tech can make a cheap export give that YAESU FT450D a run for the money and even surpass it in some ways, albeit within a single band.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I never liked my ft-450d, compared to older radios, it was ok but then I am used to radios that don't get washed out by BC location when I pass one.

Yes it was working right.

8. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    With the right test equipment and skills you should have been able to overcome that problem.

The word "right" is a relative term and has no meaning. There's always room for improvement. Limitations are always self-imposed due to lack of skills required to overcome deficiencies.

9. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    OK ...
    See your first quote - been done.

10. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    The bottom statement is an unsubstantiated claim and the top statement is an admission that the bottom statement isn't true.
    Either the skills were present or they weren't but both statements can't be true simultaneously. If someone dislikes the performance of something it's because they lack the skills necessary to make it perform the way they would like it to perform. There's nothing wrong with being unable to
    re-engineer something to make it perform the way we want it to. Everybody has limitations and should be honest about those limitations.

11. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    try this rabbi, that radio is a POS, it happens a few times, ham radios are produced with the same level of quality now a days than everything else, except for very high end stuff and even then there are a few that escape into the public that are pure junk even though the price tag is upper four digits.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.