Considering a trucking career

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by TXDriver79, Jan 5, 2019.

1. TXDriver79

TXDriver79 Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2019
    Hello and thank you all in advance for any/all help.

Long story short, I'm 39 and ready for a total career change and think trucking could be the answer. The pertinents are:

* I'm 39.5 and in good health and would have no problem passing a DOT including drug test(s).

*No pets or kids BUT I'm (happily) married and the wife will NOT let me to be gone for week (or weeks) at a time. Her father was an OTR trucker and she's *firm* that I be home nightly or near it.

* I live about 25 miles south of Dallas, TX.

* I currently drive 45k-50k miles per year soley in the DFW metroplex for my job (regular Ford F-150 style truck) and I have been doing so for the past 12 years. The only accident I've ever been in was when a guy rear-ended me at a rural red light because he was on his cell phone. He paid for the repair and in fact the police refused to even make a report. I got 1 speeding ticket 3-4 years ago but got it dropped/whatever because I did a defensive driving course so basically I have a perfectly clean driving record.

* I love to drive. I LOVE IT. I've always wanted to drive a truck preferably big $$$ specialty loads/hazmat/the crazier the better but the wife has always been a firm "no"... I think at this point I'm going to be stuck to "local only" opportunities so that dream is probably unreachable but only because of her.

* Pension - that's what I'm chasing now. I've seen a few job listings that show their jobs come with one but ideally the job I will take (trucking or otherwise) will come with a pension. I can not stress how important this is - I realllllly want to obtain a pension if in any way possible.

* I'm not interested in buying my own truck. No where to put it, don't know much about mechanics/how to repair engines, ect, etc.

* "No touch" is more up my alley these days. I'm not against hard work in any way but driving a furniture box truck and hauling furniture up/down 3 flights of stairs (which I did when I was younger) daily is not my idea of a "great work day".

So what do you guys think? Any hope for me in trucking? What schools and/or trailer types should I consider? I don't mind working for a reduced rate for a year to repay CDL school but would like to avoid the horror stories of "working for free"/etc I've heard about... Thank you all again for everything!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Plenty of local jobs in Dallas/Ft. Worth area.
    One new cdl school grad there just landed a good job with Fastenal.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here's some more local, but you'll need to graduate from a cdl school.
    DOT Transportation - www.drivefordot.com
    JRayL Transport
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >>DOT Day Cab <<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>DOT Sleeper Truck<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    [​IMG]*[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    TXDriver79 Thanks this.
  4. TXDriver79

Jan 4, 2019
    Thank you very much for that reply! Is there a particular CDL school/route you'd recommend? Any other tips? Thanks again!

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Choose a cheap 160 hr. school and get all the endorsements before graduation.
    Some companies want graduates from specific school, so call and ask if it matters which one.

TXDriver79 Thanks this.
  6. TXDriver79

Jan 4, 2019
    Awesome, thank you, I will start researching 160hr schools now.

Once finished, are there any particular local jobs to chase most? Meaning are "concrete truck" jobs or say "local grocery store delivery" jobs the ones to chase after for highest pay/etc? Again, thank you for taking the time to reply!

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Trimac Transportation - local work around Dallas/Ft. Worth - terminal in Aubrey, TX
    $72,800.00 per year - Solo | Local | Tanker
    Click here to apply or for more information: > Apply On Company Site
    We offer the best paid training in the industry! Whether you’re a recent CDL school graduate, a former military service member or an experienced driver, Trimac Transportation has the perfect career opportunity for you!
    This company hires from specific schools: Click here to see the list of schools
    Trimac will reimburse tuition back to you through $200.00 monthly installments.

TXDriver79 Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    DOT Foods/DOT Transportation has food service that pays well.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Labatt Foodservice - sometimes hires drivers with only a cdl-a permit.
    Click here for more information > Apply On Company Site
    Candidates are welcome to fill out an application online or in-house. For an in-house application, please visit us at the Dallas Labatt Office located at 650 Regal Row, Dallas, TX 75247, Monday - Friday from 8:45 am - 3:00 pm. Must bring a valid TX Class A Permit or CDL and proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here's two more openings at the same Labatt location in Dallas:
    Apply On Company Site
    Apply On Company Site - $60K - $90K per year

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    TXDriver79 Thanks this.
  9. TXDriver79

Jan 4, 2019
    This is very helpful, thank you. I'm thrilled really to know this is something that could actually happen. Very cool!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'll tell you right now; if you love driving, those local jobs will really get the itch going for OTR.
    When you decide you just really should hit the road, there's many companies that will hire you, especially after you have 6 mos. experience.

TXDriver79 Thanks this.
  11. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    He cant hit the road because the wife said NO to OTR for a week or weeks on end... good thing he lives in Dallas area... If he lived in BFE Kansas he'd be screwed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.