Consignor gave my trailer away.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dafergus85, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Dafergus85

Dafergus85 Bobtail Member

Oct 24, 2021
    At the receiver it is their policy for you to drop the trailer. They won't unload you. I won't name names but this is a big red bullseye distribution center. You check in at security and they give you a slip that you return once dropping trailer that has truck and trailer info on it. Then you get that slip back to re enter to pick up trailer. Security is supposed to check that slip to ensure you're picking up the right equipment. Obviously they didn't do their job in this scenario. I wouldn't have dropped my trailer if given the choice.

Broker knows who has my trailer due to the fact that we ran for same broker to this facility. Somehow that's receiver excuse for what happened. Broker won't give me the other carriers information due to privacy concerns. At this point they only see this as a big misunderstanding and not theft. They're sorry for the inconvenience. Blah blah blah.
    I finally spoke to the other driver this morning and suspicions were right, he is running another load for the same Broker, but will bring me back the trailer tomorrow. I have lost my next load of $5200. I will end up sitting almost 3 days. I think since I haven't recieved my empty trailer, the precious load I was under isn't considered complete so I'll charge reciever detention until I get my trailer back. I'll also charge the Broker $1000 a day for unauthorized use of my equipment. Anything else I should do?

Pamela1990, Cat sdp and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    So who the hell is the receiver, so we all know what to expect before going there?
    If it is Amazon then I heard an explanation somewhere here on this forum, that in case J.B. Hunt was a broker on this load, they (Amazon) 'can' confuse their fleet trailer with yours and start reloading it for another drop&hook.
    That's a lame excuse but those molochs think they can do whatever they want.
    That's a bad situation. It may be awhile before you see it back. I'd be pissed beyond belief....I am just scared to think how I would react at that facility, if my trailer was stolen like that.
    If you want them to pay you business damages, do what @Dino soar suggested, contact a transportation attorney, maybe OOIDA will give you a referral.

4. Dafergus85

Oct 24, 2021
    In case it goes into litigation I won't na
    In case it goes into litigation I won't name names. But they own alot of stores and have distribution centers all over the country. Not Walmart or Amazon. If you saw their logo you could hit it right on the BULLSEYE.

5. Dafergus85

Oct 24, 2021
    I just noticed my status in TruckersReport. Why do they have to rub it in and label me (Bobtail Member) just cuz I don't have a trailer. Lol.
    Trying to find some humor cuz as you all have said you'd be furious and I'm too drain and head hurts too much to be angry another 24 hours straight.

6. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Target!!!!!!!!
    So they too?!!!
    Sometimes, I deliver to them too. Not my favorites for all that detention that nobody wants to pay.
    Yeah, try to raise hell and squeeze them for money. They have security checks at entries and exits, they register each trailer that leaves. Even if that was a mistake, they need to pay you for that. You can't make a living now, while someone else is making money moving your only trailer... Man, when I think of it my brain is exploding.

7. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Just from what I read

mjd4277 and Dafergus85 Thank this.
  8. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    That's ok. I came here with a brand new Utility and was still a bobtail...lol

Pamela1990, Bean Jr. and Dafergus85 Thank this.
  9. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    So there's quite a few stories I heard in Chicagoland, when trailers are " borrowed" without mutual consent. They are said to have been borrowed when police enforcement discovers a reported as stolen trailer.
    Some poeple just go to a random yard, hook up to a dropped trailer and then proceed to a shipper to load it like it is their own. Then when caught, they have audacity to confront the owner saying that they had been given their permission or confused the yard address... all kinds of lame excuses.
    Depending whether the owner wants to persue charges, as the thieves at that point pretend to be super innocent and ready to pay the owner whatever, they can get away with that too.

10. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Wouldn't of worked. The yard dog still has to hook it and move it around

gentleroger, Bean Jr. and Dafergus85 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.