Consignor gave my trailer away.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dafergus85, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Dafergus85

Dafergus85 Bobtail Member

Oct 24, 2021
    Spoke to driver who took my trailer. He will be returning it tomorrow before noon. I will have basically lost 3 and half days of work. I don't blame this driver because broker should have never switched him to a drop and Hook and consignor shouldn't have released my trailer. Broker should have then contacted him in a timely manner, but were more focused on "how this issue occured" rather than fixing issue.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Quite a few of the places i go to you drop the wagon, that scenario is always on my mind too. If it does happen we have GPS on both

4. Dafergus85

Dafergus85 Bobtail Member

Oct 24, 2021
    Oh gps tracker is something I ordered after day 1 sitting lol. Is it battery powered or do you wire it into the trailer?

5. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    My opinion is that you need to contact the transportation attorney immediately.

Just because you spoke with the driver does not mean that you're getting your trailer back or getting it back when you need it back or getting it back in the condition it left in.

The situation could get more complicated and in my opinion you need a lawyer to start banging doors down and sending letters, Etc and guiding you as to what you need to do. Brokers and shippers laugh when you send them a bill to pay for something. But noone laughs when a lawyer sends them a bill. Especially under these circumstances.

In my opinion you need them to go right after the broker you need them to go right after the receiver you need them to go right after the security company you need them to go after this driver who picked up a trailer that was clearly marked with your logos on it...

If you do not have everything written down write it down immediately hopefully you have emails that are logging all of your discussions and if it were me I would have a phone recorder that you let everyone know they're being recorded and document every step of this.

This is far from over.

I would be seriously angry that the broker did not give you the information where your trailer was headed with this other person, I'd be furious also at the facility for not giving you that information.

If you would have had the name of that company and where they were headed immediately, you could have driven right after them yourself while trying to contact them and as soon as your trailer is empty get it out of there and charge whoever for your time chasing down your own trailer. And you would have had less down time.

If they would have acted immediately maybe they could have had him just come right back to that facility and it would have been a silly mistake rather than you losing massive amounts of money... and your property.

Even if the lawyer cost you whatever damages you could get from them at least you know that they paid and you are lawfully protected and represented.

I would want that lawyer to squeeze everybody involved to get every penny out of them that they can because your business has been damaged through no fault of your own and you need a lawyer to help you with this.

Unfortunately in our legal system sometimes things look like it's an open-and-shut thing that could never be seen through any other lens.

Without representation often it is the victim that gets screwed.

GO GET 'EM!!!

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I have told drivers when working with loads from brokers, always ask if this is a drop and wait to unload load - we don’t do them because of the hassle of getting the trailers back.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    That’s true but a truck can’t move that trailer.

8. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Battery but they last about 4 months

9. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    GPS tracker and a baseball bat gets results.

Pamela1990, krupa530 and beastr123 Thank this.
  10. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Yup. Shiny bracelets and assault charges.

11. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    What happens in Chicago, stays in Chicago.

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.