Container Hauling info needed

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by eaglebridge, Oct 21, 2009.

1. eaglebridge

eaglebridge Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I have a small trucking Co. and am looking for some info on hauling into ports/container frieght. I would assume i need my own chassis for this, as well as a TWIC card. I allready have a customer base, just need info on who to talk to at the Ports. Does each individual shipping company have an application for allowing access to thier yard. I have had my own authority since 1996 just never hauled cans. Any information would be appreciated. I am not interested in leasing any of my trucks on or working for a broker. Just looking for specific information.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hurricane Trucker

Hurricane Trucker Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Concord, NC
    Eaglebridge,

I hope this will help you out a little bit, maybe you can get some more info from other drivers, but I myself am getting into containers and I had to get my TWIC of course. You do not need to get a frame, but you do need to sign up with the UIIA (Uniform Intermodal Interchange & Facilities Agreement. What the UIIA does is make sure you have all the insurance requirements required by the EP's (Equipment Providers) you will be hauling, contatiners such as COSCO, KLINE, EVERGREEN, and so on. Depending on what port you haul out of you will also need to sign a hold harmless form for that port. Go online to www.UIIA.org and go over to motor carriers and you can scroll down through the menu and hopefully that will help you out some more. Like I said I am just now getting into the container side and hope all goes well, but some of these more experienced hands can probably help you more than I can, but I figured I would try. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

4. dino6960

dino6960 YOUDAMAN

Jun 25, 2009
    florida
    eagle its a good thing your not here!!!!! theres three ways to get on at the port here hauling containers,,,1)you must speak spanish 2) you must be cuban 3) if you are not latin and dont speak spanglish you better be in ral tight with someone that contracts out of the port!!!!! basicly if your not of a latin decent, here in ft lauderdale or miami id look somewhere else

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.