Contending with 4 Wheelers that don't know how to merge!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Knoxcious, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knoxcious

Knoxcious Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Anyone have a surefire technique for solving the "4 wheeler that insists on riding right beside you assuming you'll move so they can merge" problem? This drives me absolutely batty sometimes! Last I checked, the ramp is to yield to the highway traffic, not the other way 'round. Fortunately, I've only forced one poor sap onto the shoulder in my time driving, but I've gotten plenty of horns and "you're number one" signs because someone wasn't, shall we say, pleased with how I didn't help them merge by cutting off traffic in the hammer lane.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Rideandrepair, KB3MMX and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    unless there IS AN ACTUAL YIELD SIGN, they will NOT yield...

that is also known as an Acceleration lane, and that's what they do.....

some states have a red light, some have a stop sign, some have a yield sign.....all others have nothing.

throw a deck of cards high into the air, and see if you get a royal flush, when they land, then you can have it your way, that day...

Wargames, Lepton1 and Knoxcious Thank this.
  4. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Just leave plenty of space in front so they have somewhere to go if they decide to wake up and merge.

5. Knoxcious

Knoxcious Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Aye that sounds about right.....it just seems the notion of being squished like a bug or being run off the road might motivate them to play a little nicer?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    Yes, the acceleration lane.... here by me it usually means "Right at the end of this lane I'm going to merge into 60 MPH traffic at 43 MPH, wait a quarter of a mile until the accident behind me has been sufficiently initiated, then tromp on it and do 20 over the limit, even though there was a half mile of open ramp lane in which I could have easily gotten up to 60MPH before needing to merge"

7. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    no, with cameras all over the place, one misplaced tire on YOUR PART will get them a HUGE insurance settlement and maybe you fired..?? they will have MUCH BETTER lawyers on thier side....

no matter how many weeks of driving experience you have, you still have to be the professional driver, not the Road Warrior...

8. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    I never yield to car getting on the freeway, they have better acceleration and braking than I do-they can fit in.

I don't know about any where else in the country, but this is quite the norm in SoCal.

And yes, I also get the number one sign quite often, which should also be on their State flag!!

9. Eggroll'n Trucker

Eggroll'n Trucker Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2018
    Maintain legal speed and lane control driver.

They are merging into traffic and must accelerate or decelerate as to not illegally impede traffic.

Highway traffic has the right of way, therefore merging traffic must yield to you good sir.

10. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Nothing like getting on 95 and doing 31 MPH when everyone else is going 70. Been a pet peeve of mine for years.

Aamcotrans, KB3MMX, austinmike and 3 others Thank this.
  11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Hit YOUR horn early. Most of the cars are waiting for the cat video they are watching to end before it's time for their hourly glance up from the phone.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.