contractor for fedex wants to hire me

Discussion in 'FedEx' started by REDRIDERONE, Nov 5, 2012.

1. REDRIDERONE

REDRIDERONE Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2012
    senoia ga
    i have contractor friend that will hire me but says i have to apply at fedex and meet there requirements. other truck jobs have declined me for lack of experince drove 4 yrs part time while working as mechanic. how does this effect me getting on with contractor? have all endorsements just no full time experience.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Fedex is strict; but you might luck out.
    Here are a couple of ideas if interested: at least will get you some experience so you can work for your buddy later.

FFE has a LTL terminal in Atlanta & FFE offers training. (driveffe.com) You can work out of the Atlanta terminal & can drive company truck or lease to own through their program.

This company is hurting for drivers : (near Atlanta & can apply online)
    [TABLE="class: nrgt"]
    [TR="class: mslg"]
    [TD]Contact(877) 628-6285 / info@tribetrans.com
    Tribe Express, Inc.

28 Industrial Blvd
    Suite 104
    Cleveland, GA 30528
    877-628-6285 Option 7

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

APPLY NOW!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
    REDRIDERONE Thanks this.
  4. mg1224

mg1224 Light Load Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Western South East
    I don't know the correct answer, but I will say I see those guys advertising on Atlanta CL all the time and they're willing to hire with an obsurdly limited amount of experience.

trucker43 Thanks this.
  5. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Fedex will determine your eligibility, not him. Dunno bout there but the Houston Fedex contractors are desperate for drivers. Why? .32 cpm for pups? Heck you can get JB beer runs for .32 and drop and hook so why would anyone mess with pups for the same dollar ?

Good luck.....

trucker43 Thanks this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    contractors advertise in salt lake EVERY day.

my brother in law says i should apply. but the way i see it. if companies continously advertise. then it must mean they have a very high turnover rate. and aren't worth working for.

but for someone looking for experience. what else you got to lose?

trucker43 Thanks this.
  7. pfudd

pfudd Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2010
    I worked for a contractor for a grand total of 2 weeks out of memphis. I had issues with both the contractor and the company. I had plenty of miles but no hx with pups. They put me on a truck that was on what I would call an extra board. They required we stay at a truckstop in W. Memphis. 1st week went to Chicago, waited 24 hours for a turn back to mem. Thurs afternoon sent us to phoenix with a quick turnaround. 2nd week waited @ W. memphis till thursday night with a load to Commerce, CA. Turned in my resignation w/ notice upon returning.

Ran into a H/W team in W mem who used to run for another contractor, they knew the story when I mentioned the contractor. They said they had it much better when they were there b/c they were with a different contractor. They mentioned their company was hiring and hired on with them as soon as my two weeks were up. What I learned is that there is a huge difference bewteen contractors, so check them out before hand. Make sure they have a route that is worth a ####.

8. Steve3662

Steve3662 Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Mt Juliet, TN
    Now the currently advertising doesn't exactly pan out with FedEx. I advertise for drivers all the time. Out of 18 drivers I have only lost one in the past year. The problem we run into is finding qualified drivers to drive for us. Not only is FedEx picky so are we. I can be picky because it is a good job. Our drivers make $60,000+ a year. You also have to look at adding trucks I am advertising right now but I also just ordered two more trucks on Monday. At FedEx safety is #1 if you have a criminal history you will not be hired. If you have 2 incidents in the past 2 years you will not be hired. I don't mean accidents I mean incidents. If you do not have verifiable experience you will not be hired. FedEx does actually check your employment history unlike a lot of companies. If you have certain tickets or more than two tickets in the past two years you will not be hired. I have been at FedEx for 10 years and will say it has its quirks but what other company doesn't. With FedEx you know what you get. You learn the system and you can make money. It is all drop and hook. It is all terminal to terminal. Not much getting lost trying to get into joes produce or whatever. You do have to pay your dues though most of us use the seniority system as does FedEx. We have dedicated runs and they are offered to the drivers by seniority as they come up. I do have drivers that would rather run the extra board so they do and they do well. Why do they do well? They know the system and so do I so we use it to our advantage. I had one team that got right at 8000 miles last week and the other extra board trucks averaged around 5800 miles.

9. REDRIDERONE

REDRIDERONE Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2012
    senoia ga
    this is redriderone, been a long time. well the contractor for fedex hired me and been running my butt, off. started out as parttime but his other driver had a wreck and i have been running his dedicated route ever since. when no one would take a chance on me they did. now that i have experiance all the co. like hunt and schneider want me to come to work for them. but this man pays me well above what i could make with these other co. also am home every night in my on bed, except when i go out of town this is a good job and company.

10. hellpatrol

hellpatrol Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2013
    It all depends on the contractor. I have one little blemish on my criminal record and was hired. But I work at night, pulling doubles through the ny-ct-nj area. Yes I cross the George-D###-Washington bridge 6 times a night, but like it's been said, no getting lost looking for some mom and pop super market. Pulled reefers before this and let me tell you not having to unloading thousands of pounds of crap out of the back of the trailer is AWESOME!! Seals on the doors and such, all right! The only PITA is the dollies and even those get easier with experience. The low center of gravity of the trailers due to the belly pod is great. I can sail around corners doing 65 MPH and not even have a wiggle out of my wiggle wagons. My contractor is great. He pays fair and on time, bought some new trucks and the best is that he took a chance on me. I didn't have ANY doubles experience, only a year with a cdl-A(had a cdl-B for years) and it could have been a disaster for him, but I realized the chance that he took and I really needed a job. I worked hard and sweated a LOT, but I made it work.It took me over an hour to hook up my first double trailer set, Now it's only 15 minutes from stop to pulling again. I have to say it's the best driving job I have ever had. People bytch and moan about the hours and working at night, well unload 38,000 pounds of meat using a pump jack on an incline and you'll soon learn what hard work really is! It's great to be able to know where you're going and also know the little by-ways to take in case it's blocked.Of course it can get boring travelling the same route all the time, but it's not as big a problem as getting lost in the middle of nowhere Pa ( done that!)

If you can get on with a good contractor than you'll have it made. A good boss or a bad one will be the same no matter where you go in any industry

RookieJ1987 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.