Convert 379 short hood to EXHD

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Tlgreen22, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Tlgreen22

Tlgreen22 Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Just curious if anyone else has ever converted a 379 short hood to an EXHD? Looks very do-able but obviously going to require some work.

From what I can tell, looks like the front and rear cab mounts need to go back about 8" along with a number of other things. There looks to be plenty of slack in the wiring harness to make the move. Extending the airlines would be cake. I know I'll need a steering shaft and clutch rod from an exhd along with the breather tube from the firewall.

I know I could always sell the truck and just buy an actual exhd truck but I've been in this truck for 2 years and it has a recent platinum cat rebuild and I know the maintenance history of the truck.

Pretty much just looking for info from someone who has actually done the conversion before. Thanks for the insight.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Lot harder then it seems to be. Need longer batt cables, most of the electrical will not reach. Wiring harnesses are specific as per chassis and there will be extra wiring, but not enough to extend 8'' and still route them good with a decent amount of slack. Engine harness, ecm power and hood harness will need to be extended/replaced. Also start/charge depending on model year. ABS usually has alot of extra harness tied up. A/C lines will need to be longer. Might need a different transmission shift housing as they had forward/rearward mounting positions. New gear stick, new clutch rod. Move the batt box and tool box back as long as moving the fuel tanks because the batt box will hit it. Exhaust will need to have a longer flex installed. Fuel tanks might interfere with rear fenders when moved back depending on room. Frame rails will look like swiss cheese after drilling all the new mounting holes for the cab and components. Oil pressure/fuel pressure gauges need longer lines. 5th wheel to bunk clearance depending on length. Probably missing more stuff yet. I would tend to accept what you have and buy a different truck if you have to have the exhd. Also if I was looking to buy a truck, I wouldn't buy the one that had the cab slid back when I can buy one no one has touched. I love the look of the exhd, but unless it is a 1 in a million truck, leave it alone. Just my thoughts...

nitetride379x, Bean Jr. and Tlgreen22 Thank this.
  4. PacManTrap

PacManTrap Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Maryland
    They make a hood for the shorthood that doesn't have the slant in it. Almost reminiscent of the 359 shorthood

5. savage02

savage02 Light Load Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Upstate, NY
    look up RLK Services down in Camilla, GA! Owner is Chase Shiber and he has done "little big hoods".

lester Thanks this.
  6. ROBSREDFORD

ROBSREDFORD Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2008
    MIDLAND, NC
    I've done it he hit the highlights and I also have the short big hoods lot easier and looks good $5600 complete with shell and fenders

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.