CONVOY...my limited experience & observations

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Scooter Jones, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I really hate reading this man. I shouldn’t care at all but I just really enjoy reading about what your doing and knowing your out there and part of this thing we all do. It’s like Scooters gone, your going to be gone, not many people left that comment on what they are actually doing.

Maybe take 30 days off just to be sure. When you are sure let me know and I’ll buy your trailer if you sell them separately. Take care.

Brettj3876 and SteveScott Thank this.
  2. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Thanks Marc that means a lot. I wish I had retired from insurance 10 years earlier and started doing this then. I love being on the road and taking it all in, but my body is telling me otherwise. If I sell the trailer separately I'll let you know, although right now out here ones like mine (2019 Utility) are selling for around $85k ($10k more than I paid new) and their reefer units have way more hours than mine. So you'll probably find a much better deal back in your neck of the woods.

I get the feeling I'll still be lurking about and giving my 2 cents on TTR after I retire. If I turn into one of those old farts that writes a novel about random stuff that has nothing to do with trucking, please let me know. o_O

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  3. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    You could write some for sure. You have a pen and style that catches attention. As a matter of fact, I see in you a perfect o/o with own authority. Salesmen experience, work ethic and moral integrity, what more can you ask? I agree that this profession takes a toll on body and soul. If you can retire and do something else and live comfortable life, go for it before it will wear out the rest of you. Surely, contribute here, because the last thing people need to hear is of all those who are grossing half a million a year, it is better to read when someone says about life as is.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  4. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    Thanks Joe. I've actually done quite a bit of writing in my time. I've contributed to a number of peer reviewed archaeological journals, and even wrote a novel just before I became a driver. It still sells a few dozen now and then on Amazon, but nothing approaching a best seller. Just wrote it as a youth fiction at my daughter's request when she was in a creative writing class in high school, and that's the age who still likes it.

You're no slouch at this O/O game, and you seem to have a better handle on it than most. You know how to hustle, and you're doing very well at your chosen profession.

TallJoe and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    A good chiropractor can work wonders but can be hard to find.

6. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    There are good ones out there, but they're extremely rare. The vast majority of them are snake oil salesmen that want you in their office once every week or two for a good back cracking. Repeat business is their bread and butter. I've met two in my life that worked out of their homes, only charged a few bucks cash, and really knew what they were doing. The only way to find people like that is through word of mouth. They don't advertise because they don't need to.

There are far too many chiropractors in business today that try to sell people on their theories that your spine is linked to everything that is wrong in your life including depression. I've seen video of them cracking the backs of newborns, and trying to convince mothers they don't need medications or vaccinations because they can cure their children through chiropractic methods. As soon as Medicare and health insurance companies started paying for their services back in the 90's, their scam was set in stone. Where I grew up in southern Ohio, a man was a failed vacuum cleaner salesman for years. One day he left town for 3 weeks, and came home a doctor of chiropractic medicine. He opened a clinic, and made a fortune. His two sons run it today and they take in tens of millions of dollars scamming Medicare and Medicaid.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  7. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Yep there's a LOT of quacks in that business and you're right about word of mouth. I have one I went to about 2 years ago and he fixed my lower back in 3 visits. It started bothering me again here recently same as it was 2 years ago and he has worked on it a couple of times already. I tend to think he *might* or just wonder if he might be milking it for extra visits but if it works all of a sudden and fixes it in the next visit or two, well, I just want relief and it's worth the minor cost. It was weird how about 2 days after an adjustment all of a sudden I just felt better and it lasted a couple of years. He suggested I come back periodically for an adjustment but I never did. I think I will the next time at least once every 3 months or so. It's absolute misery sitting in that driver seat with a back giving you problems.

SteveScott Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.