CONVOY...my limited experience & observations

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Scooter Jones, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I have had Convoy sending me emails and texts lately to joined them. They want my 411. I told them I’m ok for now but they still insist.

JackStrells Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Well, think about input they have:
    1. Your exact location.
    2. Your load preferences based on your load history.
    3. Your propensity to haul for sub-market rates, if choosing to go home, based on load history.

This gives them quite some info.

4. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I browse Uber and Convoy but have yet to run a load for either. I turn them off in location settings as soon as I click off.

Can’t beat them totally but you can fight.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  5. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I have contract freight from the PNW down to California most weeks, and I use the Convoy app to find loads from California up to the PNW. I don't have any complaints about them at all. I'm finding good paying loads, and 100% of the money is in my account 2 days after delivery with no factoring fees. When detention is needed they pay it automatically with no questions asked, and I've had a couple loads that required layover, and it too was paid immediately.

Got an email this morning with my year to date scorecard with Convoy.

$42,721 YTD Payout
    20 Shipments
    15,259 Loaded Miles

My average CPM for those miles is $2.79, and my average payout per load is $2,136.

I don't have to bargain with a broker for a decent rate, and I don't have to pay factoring fees to get my money right away. What's not to like about that? I also use Uber for some backhauls, but I prefer dealing with Convoy. Better loads and easier to use. Uber also takes longer to pay.

6. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Looks good. I don't see as good rates in this part of the country in their App. Every time, lately, I keep loosing bids. You just click and book those loads as they appear?

Edit: Correct me, if I am wrong...you pull reefer? If so, that would make a difference....

7. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    Yes I pull a reefer, but my best paying loads through them are usually half reefer and half dry van. Some lanes are just horrible regardless of who you use. My contract freight from the PNW pays great, but brokered freight from the same area is really bad, as in $1.50 a mile or less.

I call their sales department a lot to ask if they can do better on a load, and the answer is usually yes. I no longer use the bid feature on their app because it rarely gets followed up on and I just lose the load. A few times as I'm on the phone with their sales department, a load will come up as we're speaking and I tell them to book it for me without using the app. People who use the app a lot like me grab the good loads as soon as they appear on the app. You have to check back often and refresh the screen every time. Don't think about it too long or somebody else like me will accept it while you're pondering the load.

pumpkinishere, 86scotty and TallJoe Thank this.
  8. LAs2434

LAs2434 Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Watch out with convoy. Uber is same but at least with Uber you don’t have to worry about getting paid for loads because convoy leeched money from one of the loads I delivered. It was my 3 load with convoy this whole year and definitely the last one ever.

9. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    So what did they say happened that they took money out of the load?

10. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    When you accept a load for their price it's a legal contract, regardless if it's Convoy or a regular broker. What did they claim they shorted you for? I'm having a little trouble believing it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.