Cooking in the truck while on the road?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by NH Guy, Mar 20, 2023.

1. NH Guy

NH Guy Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2023
    Im wondering what sort of tricks etc you guys have to cook on the road. Im thinking i could get by with cooking anything i want with a toaster oven and hot plate, maybe an air fryer. Anything else that might be handy? How do you deal with the resulting dishes? Do you take take them into the truckstop bathroom, or do you have a sprayer etc and do the dishes on the deck plate on the back of the truck?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Hibachi

Don't even take your eating ware into the bathrooms at these truck stops. Unless you a truly a masochist.

I use the sink at the coffee counter during off peak times, and leave it the way I found it.

Or just use some bottled water from the truck.

Some guys have a home made sink in one side of their cabinets.

4. NH Guy

Feb 26, 2023
    Coffee counter, didnt think of that one. New driver obviously. :oops:

5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I don't spend more than one night away from home a week or so now. I use one of those "Lunchbox" ovens to reheat meals my wife puts in loaf pans for my trip or even Dave's Beefaroni.
    Although there are plenty of 12v options to work with, 110v with an inverter will give you the most choices.

6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    dwells40, tscottme, drvrtech77 and 4 others Thank this.
  7. NH Guy

Feb 26, 2023
  8. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Paper/styrofoam plates and plastic utensils. I use a crockpot a lot with plastic liners and throw away cheap Tupperware for leftovers. Dish out leftovers in daily Tupperware containers, reheat in a microwave, then chuck the dirty dishes and let the eco-whiners get pissed at all the plastic I am tossing.

9. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    I had a countertop oven/air fryer, an instant pot, a microwave, and a deep electric skillet. There was pretty much nothing I couldn't cook in the truck with that combo.
    I also had a small 12-volt portable fridge/freezer that I kept set to -8 and a built-in fridge for fresh stuff. I rarely ate anything from a truck stop.

10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    How big of an inverter?

11. NH Guy

Feb 26, 2023
    Id probably skip the microwave, as rare as i use it at home i could just run into the truckstop and use the microwave, probably not worth having it take up space. Would you suggest going with the electric skillet over hot plate and seperate pans? I havent looked at them yet.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.