Correct etiquette for passing or indicating a truck in front of you can change lanes

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lepton1, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Most of y'all come back over in the right lane WAY too close my front bumper.

Safety rule is one vehicle length for every 10 mph you are traveling.

I'm lucky to get one whole truck length. Why would I want to encourage all you non-drivers to come over even sooner?

Then there's the ones who want to impress me by showing how close they can re-enter the right lane without catching my left front bumper.

Remember, especially you box yankers, after you pass me and cut me short all I can see is your rusted, ugly, dirty, torn up 13'6" x 102" rear end. If I wanted to tailgate someone there wouldn't be any room for you in the first place.

And also I have HID headlights. They were very expensive when I bought them in 1999 and it's not good for the ballast to flash them on and off, I believe.

One more thing, my rear facing 100W aircraft landing lamps are brighter than your high beams!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I agree. I have a fist full of rock chips on my windshield from people coming over too close. The worst thing is these people weren't in the way of anyone, no one behind them, and yet they had to come back over ASAP.

I quit signaling people over except for a handful of circumstances.

Wargames Thanks this.
  4. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Your Mailbox
    One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing a 'professional driver' fail to obey the most basic traffic laws, such as speed limits. If you pass me, then you are going more than 5mph over the limit. If you think speed limits don't apply to you, don't expect me to show you an ounce of courtesy by flashing you over. In fact, chances are I'll be on the phone with your safety manager or the state police. Who I call depends on how fast you're going and how reckless you're driving.

5. lowgear14

lowgear14 Medium Load Member

Jun 1, 2014

6. lowgear14

lowgear14 Medium Load Member

Jun 1, 2014
    In many regards, I do this a lot for truck drivers, because I used to be one myself, it's basically out of courtesy to let you guys over. My family and I do this, because we understand what's it like. It should be common form of courtesy for everyone to do, but not everyone understands the role of truck driver, and what does it mean for America. I wish I had a big enough place for all of you to park for your 10 hour break. I have money, but I don't have that kind of money. Sorry guys. At least, I have the common courtesy to let you all come over when you to get over.

Dan.S, Lepton1 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  7. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    i used to do that many years ago, but with all the new clowns driving, forget it.

8. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    first good post here. Thanks, I can tell a Veteran driver the way he or she says things on here. I don't use no lights at all for over 20 years now. I do hit the four ways now and then, but that's it, with the new wave of drivers out there. I have very little tolerance for stupidity out there, and I personally walk up to a driver and let them know it.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    I just thanked gigs and the post was 5 years old. I miss her, she was a lot of fun.

skellr and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I don’t really dim my lights much anymore. No need.

I don’t need swift to flash me over either. I drive a tanker that goes a hell of a lot faster than them plus it’s a tanker so it’s easy to see...

I still give them the thank you marker light flash but whatever.

And yeah whenever I see a car cut the lights off as I pass I always figure they are a truck driver.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Times have changed.

I don't flash or dim anymore.

What I will do is make room, I'll back her down a mile an hour or two for a short time to clear your trailer. I don't like anyone next to me anyhow. Even if I am in a car.

The governed trucks at such slow speeds with small difference between so many trucks has given what I could call a national stroke on our two lane highways as it takes one ten miles to pass another with the resulting herd of trucks mixed with cars trying to sort it out. And all of it at 60 or whatever below speed limit of 70 or 75 in our state or even 85 in god help us Texas...

There is no point. If you are such a trucker as to allow yourself to be abused in a 60 mph truck and not join a company with a ungoverned truck and able to run at the speed limit then you probably are hurting not just yourself but contributing to a problem on the highway by trying to pass someone doing 59.

One of these days someone is going to seriously screw up and we are going to experience a mass wreck, say 100+ big rigs in a clear weather nighttime situation such as east of Memphis on 40... because everyone is jammed together between 59 to 63 mph.

Companies have done that to themselves. I have no feelings for them.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.