Cost for a Tow, how to save money on Tows

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Shotgun94, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Shotgun94

Shotgun94 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia
    So I have only had to be towed once and I was fortunate to only cost about $241 for about 13 miles. Definitely was saved in that scenero but what are the average costs for being towed? I am thinking about 200 or 250 just to be hooked up, and then what is the cost per mile or so forth? I once had to be pulled out for getting my truck stuck for $375 and it took about an hour for that.

Lets say my engine throws a rod or something and I want to rent a penske and piggy back my truck to home or where I want it fixed because I know it is going to be a big job and I am far from home and don't want to be ripped off by a dealership. Or say I had a stepdeck, but have to pay a short tow with my truck and trailer and have it loaded on my stepdeck and I rent a truck and tow it all home? May have to deflate the tires to keep it from being over height what 10 feet for east coast if it is 13ft 6 legal.

Or is there a good deal insurance plan out here for towing you guys have that can save your bacon?
    Where are decent places to get deals on Tows?
    The reason I got a decent deal that one time was because the repair shop I called had some account with America's Best Towing and I got a reduced rate.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I once had my truck towed home on a RGN from Grand Junction, NE to central Illinois. Rode with the guy strait through. Found him through a broker I used. Paid the guy direct. He wanted $1200 I wrote the check for $1500 and felt like I got a deal. Broker didn’t ask or take any cut.
    My truck is a Mid roof still 11’ tall so that makes it easier.

The day before that I had my truck towed from Stuart, Iowa back to Des Moines, IA for $1000 and felt like I got a good deal for the 50 mile tow.

It was the $900 tire that I felt like I got ripped off on.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you are near a container port you can hand a towmotor bigger than your tractor a hundred he will load it for you and nothing more will be said.

And yes the east coast with clearances will be your next challenge.

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    5 Years ago. Boss paid $1500 for 131 California miles. No idea if he got any reimbursement from FL.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.