Could I start my own business as an independent contractor barber

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by BrandonA24, Feb 28, 2019.

1. BrandonA24

BrandonA24 Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2017
    California
    I work about 50 hours a week driving semi. Would the hos rules allow to start my own part time side business and cut hair on my days off as an independent contractor barber?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Cash only.
    No records of anything.

BrandonA24 Thanks this.
  4. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Strictly speaking, this is what the FMCSA rules say...

• ALL work for any motor carrier counts against 60/7 and 70/8 clocks.
    • COMPENSATED work for non motor carries does as well.
    • There is no limit to the non-driving hours that can be worked whether for motor carriers or not.
    • In order to drive there must be sufficient hours remaining on 60/7 and 70/8 or recap hours or after a reset.

On-duty time means...

(8) Performing any other work in the capacity, employ, or service of, a motor carrier; and

(9) Performing any compensated work for a person who is not a motor carrier.
    - §395.2 Definitions.

brian991219 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  5. BrandonA24

BrandonA24 Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2017
    California
    So Hypothetically speaking, one would have to do this off the books and not report the additional income from a side business.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Yes.

Law says any work you do for wages, or income that taxable or not must be in your logbook for the week against your 70 hours HOS as onduty or if with a another motor carrier, that record and address of same etc goes in.

If you are ever caught it's probably will ruin you. The IRS has the ability to take away your checking, your properties and so on. All the way up to garnishing any refunds, Social security etc.

BrandonA24 Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Thousands of drivers have a side job off the books.
    The driver sitting behind his computer in the truck at a truck stop, doing online stock trading isn't going to log it.

Milr72 and BrandonA24 Thank this.
  8. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Call it a hobby and only accept cash payment and nobody will know, till you get caught. How many days a week are you going to be cutting hair, is this a Friday, Saturday, Sunday type of thing? You should be able to work a part time non driving job all day Friday and until noon Saturday and still have a 36 hour reset Monday morning, at least to my way of thinking.

9. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Cash businesses are great!

Just make sure you do it in such a way that God forbid if you ever had a wreck that they can't come back and say that you were over your hours.

That is really the main concern.

10. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Volunteer work does not apply.

How ludicrous that taking 30 min to mow the lawn of the elderly neighbor next door and she gives you $5.00 requiring you to log the time but you can volunteer to drive the Sunday school bus all day long and not have to record the time.

If i'm a driver for a mega carrier and I do 'side work' the weekends I'm home; how is the DOT gonna' know?????

Blackshack46 Thanks this.
  11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    the school bus is legal driving under FMCSA regs, you have to count that.

Otherwise who cares.

BUT what the OP doesn't seem to get is that there are state and local regs/laws about hair cutting and if he say nicks someone in the ear and it turns into a real problem (infection or can't glue the ear back on) then he has legal issues and the FMCSA/DOT is the least of your worries.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.