Could this work?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by healthadvocate, Dec 23, 2008.

1. healthadvocate

healthadvocate Bobtail Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Good morning truckers,

I am the wife of an OTR trucker and I have watched for several years as my husband's health has deteriorated due to lack of exercise, tobacco addiction and poor diet. He is on the road sometimes months at a time. I am a bit of a fitness junkie and each time he comes home, I work with him teaching him exercises he could perform inside or around his truck, how to use tension bands and some fairly light hand weights. I talk to him about diet but it seems that options for him given the limited parking, etc., are very slim and what is available is a choice between not very healthy and really unhealthy. I cook meals that can be frozen but generally he can only carry about a week's supply. He has a problem with motivation and would rather go to the TV room and be entertained, or sit at the counter and talk to other drivers.

I am going to participate in a health care forum at the end of the month. At this forum we will discuss health care issues to present to the new Obama administration. It is a grass roots attempt to brainstorm and offer suggestions. I want to present some ideas I have about trucker fitness. I have a proposal in mind, based on my limited knowledge of what it is like on the road and I wanted to bounce it off the people it would effect most; truckers, if any of my idea were to be adopted, and see if you think it is something that truckers would use or, or if it is not a reasonable amenity that they would be inclined to take advantage of, were it available.

My proposal would involve tax credits and/or expense deductions for usage of small fitness rooms located at truck stops around the country. Also, tax incentives for offering more choices of healthy foods. The salad bar is ok, but it is full of deceptively unhealthy food items. I'd like to see a more focused effort to offer more choices.

For the driver - (1) a tax credit (the biggest bang for the buck) for every dollar spent in a low cost fitness room (low cost i.e. $2.00 a day). (2) A deduction off of reported income for measurable weight loss from one DOT physical to the next. (3) some kind of financial incentive for smoking cessation. I'd have to figure out how to measure that.

For the truck stop - (1) grants from the government to furnish fitness rooms with a treadmill or two, an eliptical, maybe an exercise bike, a weight machine. (2) income generated from fitness rooms would be tax free. Truck stops would have to provide the room to house the equipment and the maintenance of the equipment. A provision of this benefit would be that admission to the fitness room would HAVE to be low cost. (3) a tax break for offering some healthy (truly healthy) options on their menus.

For the trucking companies (1) some type of tax benefit for successful encouragement (measured by reported driver participation. i.e., driver might submit copies of receipts for fitness room usage that the companies could use to compile data) of use of fitness facilities at truck stops. This might be in the form of periodic bonus checks (some companies offer small bonuses for sustained safety records. Something along those lines). (2) same as above for successfully encouraging smoking cessation or measureable weight loss. Maybe a point system of all of these goals as achieved. Higher points would result in bigger tax incentives.

For the government (i.e. the nation as a whole) -(1) lower health care cost associated with improved health of a segment of the population. (2) safer highways resulting from drivers who are in better health. (3) retainage of more experienced drivers who previously were forced off the highway by progressively deteriorating health.

I would really like some feedback from you. If you think I am barking up the wrong tree, please tell me. If you think it is something you would take advantage of, I would love to hear your thoughts on it. We meet on the 29th, and it is by invitation of the Obama team, and they DO have a massive stimulus package they are going to unveil, so I think this might be a window of opportunity that might otherwise have been a pipe dream.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. luvmyhubby

luvmyhubby Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Sidney MI
    Its a nice thought to want to improve the health of those around us, to encourage and support anyone trying to make a life style change that being said:

1)Truckers DONT have a lot of free time on the road, they drive, sleep, and keep on going...if they get stuck doing a 34 hour restart its do the laundry, grab a shower, clean the truck, do the paperwork etc.

2)If the federal government CANT keep track of the billions of dollars we the tax payers have given them they cant be trusted to run any sort of health care program for anyone, period.

3) If anyone wanted to improve the health of truckers they should start with making companies treat them like humans, pay them a decent wage, RUN LEGAL and rewarded for that etc.

I admire anyone who wants to bring better things, exercise rooms just dont seem to be the answer.

Brickman, 112racing and Bigstretch Thank this.
  4. heyns57

heyns57 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2006
    near Kalamazoo Speedway
    I understand your concerns for your husband's health. Do you really think small tax credits would be enough to motivate him to make life style changes?

Everyone is salivating over the Obama stimulus program. My son has emailed the Obama committee with his complicated ideas about neighborhood design. I hope pork projects are kept out of it. At least, people are talking and planning. What this country needs is investment in infrastructure so that we can remain competitive and prevent gridlock in our transportation systems. We need to deal with collapsing sewer pipes that are more than 100 years old. We need projects that benefit all of the people, not just truck drivers.

We need to simplify our tax code and close the loopholes. All of us as tax payers would have to make up for the deductions and credits granted to spedial interest groups. There is no free lunch. I think it is going too far to bribe people to do what is in their own best interest.

healthadvocate, your motivations are honorable. My wife and you are on the same page. She was a school cook who fought for a healthier menu. There may be a way to promote investment in excecise equipment. That is much less complicated than having every driver itemizing his hours of excercise and his weight loss.

5. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Some very interesting idea's
    I appreciate all the thought and work you put into it
    But being I am for a smaller government
    I fear the legislation it will take to put through your idea's
    We are controlled in so much already
    My big worry is the fat laws that will need to be put in place for our own good to make successful the governments idea of a proper life style

Brickman and Bigstretch Thank this.
  6. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    Luv pretty much said every thing that needs to be said.

7. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Mark my words, we are about to see pork on a level never seen before.

8. healthadvocate

Dec 23, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Luvmyhubby, I wasn't expecting the government to run this program, but rather to offer incentives for businesses (truck stops, trucking firms, owner operators)to invest in an infrastructure that would support a healthier lifestyle for an occupation that reflects the obstacles to achieving that. Thats all. I'm glad your husband is so busy that he would not have time for this. My husband has worked for three different trucking companys in the last three years (each one was a little better than the last) but he very often spends multiple days sitting complete still with no offers of runs to take coming his way at all. Drivers pay for showers, (and a lot more than I am proposing for a fitness room). I would think having another activity available besides watching television, might be an incentive,yes. My husband is also very friendly and generally can strike up a conversation with just about anyone. This might be a place for a person to get a little exercise while still being able to converse with someone.

Brickman and Baack, the cost to the government (we the people) would be the initial grant money to furnish the exercise rooms with equipment, and the loss in tax revenue hopefully reflected in the form of tax credits or reductions in taxable income. The benefit to the government (we the people) would be in reduced health care cost (that we all end up paying for in one form or another), safer highways, driver retention (thus more experienced veteran drivers). The cost to companies would be in the administration of any programs (perhaps as a function of the safety manager)to incentivize drivers in their fleets to paritipate. The benefit again would be realized in increased productivity as well as some kind of tax incentive for participation.

I have to acknowledge that it would require some kind of addition to the tax code to allow for these incentives. But, I feel it is a worthwhile tradeoff when compared to the potential benefits to all of us to have drivers; husbands, wives, fathers, daughters, sons....who drive for a living, becoming healthier.

I also have to acknowledge that it appears that truckers, those whose opinions I was seeking, so far the consensus is that this is not a good idea, that it is not something they would take advantage of. Thats what I came here to learn.

9. Mrs T

Mrs T Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2008
    planet earth
    Incentive is the key, and at the end of the day, no matter how much we plead with our spouses, it is up to them to use their spare time wisely.
    And they are only human.
    Be honest, at the end of along day, would you leave your cozy truck and go walk thru the snow and dark to get to a gym and a store selling healthy meals,, or just hunker down in the bunk, with a tv dinner?

Incentive and willpower will always be overcome by tiredness, warmth and comfort, no matter what tax breaks are involved!!
    (BTW, no disrespect intended to any trucker, including mine, its just my observation of human nature!)

Brickman Thanks this.
  10. heyns57

heyns57 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2006
    near Kalamazoo Speedway
    I suggest that each fitness room have trainers like the ones we see on TV. After all, Hooters does a good business. :biggrin_25525:

Brickman Thanks this.
  11. healthadvocate

Dec 23, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    heyns57, don't laugh now! If I didn't think it would be asking too much, and if I could figure out how in the heck to make that work, I actually think to have a one-on-one trainer would be the very best incentive a person could have. But I cannot think of a realistic way to approach that angle. You figure there would have to be someone available 24/7, since the lives of truckers encompasses 24/7. My vision of the fitness room is small scale (sort of like the fitness rooms you see in hotels), so keeping a trainer occupied for three shifts a day might not be feasible either. But, if I could think of way to fit that in, I do think that would be a huge break-through for those stubborn, hard to motivate people.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.