Could you pull freight with a cdl permit if you stay in your state

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by David Schwarz, May 25, 2017.

1. David Schwarz

David Schwarz Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Indiana
    I want to help my dad get a cdl, I could train him with my truck. Once he gets backing experience from the local school parking lot, I could help him get driving experience by watching him as we at least make money in the process. Id's this even legal in Indiana? We wouldn't leave the state. I know the answer is probably no but didn't know where to look to be sure

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. str8t10

str8t10 Medium Load Member

Apr 25, 2015
    Rochester,ny
    I live in New York and I drove tanker when I had my permit with my dad. He would drive while loaded and I'd drive empty. We are both company drivers btw. But I got my answer by calling the state troopers. I was able to drive in 6 or 7 states like that. Find the non emergency trooper or dot phone number and give them a ring. All the Leo's I spoke with specifically said unladen driving so you should be ok. Don't take my word for it tho, call and ask

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @Mark Kling had a good post about this very subject the other day.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Only with a full CDL licensed "instructor" with you in that tractor trailer. At some point your permit will expire and back to doolie you go.

You cannot and will not use that permit as a workaroud to a full CDL for trucking. Once you get into your fully CDL licensed in your pocket passing tests etc, then there are 4 tiers of trucking that come up. Interstate, intrastate, tier two and four which are special kinds of trucking limitations not requiring a medical card.

You cannot whatever you do be inside a CMV on just a little permit by yourself. You cannot. A permit is a tool to get you your full CDL after training in school etc for a limited time. Adult supervision with permits by others with the appropriate CDL and endorsements etc is necessary.

6. turtle1969

turtle1969 Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I know this is not exactly relevant to the post because i am certain your dad is over 18. However i did not know that you are allowed a CDL at age 18 but only for intrastate travel. At 21 you can then become interstate. Figured i would just share that useless info with you all.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Household goods movers, "bedbuggers", hire drivers under 21 for intrastate moves.

8. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I got my class a when I was 17. They didn't call it a CDL yet.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.