COVID-19: Truck Drivers on the Front-Line - A fresh set of Risks

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Lansan, Mar 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lansan

Lansan Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2020
    We truck drivers are not appreciated for the hard work we put in on the road making daily sacrafices and risks to sustain ourselves and family at our home financially.

With this new fresh set of risks -
    Through the COVID-19 pandemic where uncertainty of anxiety may settle-in especially if your Faith in God is not a factor on this road to keep calm. We as drivers are faced with restrictions, regulations and looked upon as the bad guy but now that we are faced with the COVID-19 we are called upon to step-up and deliver once again when no one really have our backs whether it be the FMCSA who place countless regulations and restrictions, DOT authority who write pointless violations that can impact ones ability to operate impacting your record and insurance, the Public who do not appreciate Truck drivers until they see shelves empty across the country, Insurance companies who love violations is a total RIP-OFF this too can put you out of business, and Brokers who strategize low ball rates to meet their bottom-line.

Once again Truck drivers are at the front line risking our lives to keep this country moving in the time of crisis.

Now is the time to make our demands! Truckers what are your thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Only way demands will be met is if everyone strikes.

4. Lansan

Lansan Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2020
    In a time like this if we strike, we will look cold but at the end of the day if you don't have something to bargain with in turn the politicians will not listen. Through COVID-19 they lift some regulations therefore that tells me it's not necessary. They now need us to run long hours to benefit the public but not us. As soon as this all blows over it's back to square one and the pressure of those regulations will be once again enforced. Not saying they should abolish all the regulations but atleast be flexible because what's good for the goose is not always good for the gander.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Simple. Don't do it. See, everything is fine now.

See, the overall problem isn't regulations. It's drivers that turn the key when they should not be either for safety or pay. Once drivers learn not o accept crap pay and unsafe work then and only then will things change.

shatteredsquare Thanks this.
  6. Mid-May Trucker

Oct 23, 2018
    ^ local driver who gets paid hourly lives in city and has unlimited jobs to choose from

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Your point? I got tired of crap pay for OTR work and did just what I said. I got a job that isn't crap pay.
    Sorry you (generic you, as in everyone that lets themselves be exploited) can't manage that. But it still doesn't change what needs to change.

Oh and not unlimited jobs, I had to work and sacrifice for the job I have, but yes I'm local and I'm in a retirement job. If you've been a driver for over 5 years, are still job hopping looking for greener pastures it's not the over regulation or lack of pay. it's the fact you (again generic) are choosing that.

8. Mid-May Trucker

Oct 23, 2018
    yes everybody got LTL jobs nobody would be complaining about pay and regulations but some people want to otr and would be able to make a lot if they didn't have to spent 10 hours break to make up the two to three hours they lost at shipper or receiver.

Rubber duck kw Thanks this.
  9. Lansan

Lansan Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2020
    This is where we have a mix bag of preferences. I understand where the two opinions are coming from. My perspective, a local driver might need to work harder to get a certain amount of pay therefore if happy is ok with just $900-1200 a week then great. As an owner operator I enjoy the freedom of maximizing my dollars past the 5k mark a week and freedom to support my family.

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Nothing wrong with OTR. And you're complaint is exactly what I said the issue is. It all boils down to pay. If we were paid properly the wait at a shipper / receiver would not matter. Or anything else we don't get paiud for that we should for that matter.

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Demands?

HA the nerve. Thats like the Fireman showing up at your burning house and asks you for a thousand dollar raise before putting out the neighborhood.

TallJoe and LoSt_AgAiN Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.