Covid hos warning

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by pete159, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Maybe not. I’m just glad I’ll be exempt during road check in May.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PureLeafTea

PureLeafTea Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Yeah you can’t just decide it’s covid exempt and run. I ran grocery during the lockdown and we were NOT covid exempt. Restocking stores running your ### off isn’t an emergency like a hurricane bringing in supplies. It’s just that store chain selling an ### load of merchandise.

truckguy391 Thanks this.
  4. PureLeafTea

PureLeafTea Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Whomever told you that is lying. I ran under the lockdown, talked to my carrier several times and unless the shipper says it’s covid relief it ain’t covid. Having that piece of paper from the feds isn’t enough.

you’ve been in violation this entire time. Feds audit and pffff... vapor Cougar!

5. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Wow, you got seriously lucky. I got a citation for 3 minutes over from the week prior. And was hauling exempt stuff at that! Just don’t feel the need to claim exempt just because I can.

6. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    I had a driver come in to load today , thru the #### chat he told me he just came from Miami on the covid exemption with a load of fresh cut flowers.
    I just said aint you lucky.

Midwest Trucker and ZVar Thank this.
  7. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    If you read the exemption then you’d know that loads of mainly the same product to dc’s and warehouses are exempt, mixed loads going for retail sale aren’t exempt. It’s all spelled out fairly clearly what falls under the exemption and what doesn’t.

8. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    Technically while exempt you wouldn’t even need to show him your log for prior days because when exempt you’re not required to have one.

9. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    Just in case others are wondering......

79776653-E88B-4B40-BD20-9CB33B829A56.jpeg

truckguy391 Thanks this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Nope, it isn’t clear, that’s the problem.

What is clear is how a shortage and how a direct relief assistance is defined.

Right now there is no shortage of supplies in both consumer and medical goods areas that qualify for an exemption.

If there is, show the proof because everything I am told there is less than 10 days out for shipping from my warehousing sources which is a near normal supply gap, unlike last year this time when it was close to 60 days out when the exemption was invoked.

The fmcsa and the states don’t say what is short and what is, shippers and consignee do.

If it isn’t on the shipping order, then it isn’t exempt, not the Bol but the shipping order.

too many carriers and drivers are abusing this, and should be cited for it.

11. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    I don’t pay attention to much on that list other than the first exemption listed. And I know what we haul is in short supply. It’s not uncommon to be in line to load and the plant runs out so you scramble and get a number for a different place and by the time you get to your delivery their bunker is empty. On Sunday I went to Southeastern WI with 6 ton of product in my trailer so that could start their feed mill on Monday. I imagine it’s easier to prove a mill is out of product and the supplier only has 12k on hand versus trying to say a warehouse only has 14 loads instead of their normal 15 loads.

They’re doing a study of livestock haulers for the last year to try and compile data for the amended hours of service they’re going for. It will be interesting to see what they find out.

Me? I’m just making hay while the sun shines. I’m already looking at making changes for when the exemption stops.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.