Crackdown Upends Slaughterhouse’s Work Force

Discussion in 'Other News' started by bbkeo, Oct 13, 2007.

1. bbkeo

bbkeo Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2007
    winston salem nc
    Published: October 12, 2007
    TAR HEEL, N.C. — Last November, immigration officials began a crackdown at Smithfield Foods’s giant slaughterhouse here, eventually arresting 21 illegal immigrants at the plant and rousting others from their trailers in the middle of the night.

Since then, more than 1,100 Hispanic workers have left the 5,200-employee hog-butchering plant, the world’s largest, leaving it struggling to find, train and keep replacements.
    Across the country, the federal effort to flush out illegal immigrants is having major effects on workers and employers alike. Some companies have reluctantly raised wages to attract new workers following raids at their plants.
    After several hundred immigrant employees at its plant in Stillmore, Ga., were arrested, Crider Poultry began recruiting Hmong workers from Minnesota, hiring men from a nearby homeless mission and providing free van transportation to many workers.
    So far, Smithfield has largely replaced the Hispanics with American workers, who often leave poorly paid jobs for higher wages at the plant here. But the turnover rate for new workers — many find the work grueling and the smell awful — is twice what it was when Hispanics dominated the work force.
    Making Smithfield’s recruiting challenge even harder is the fact that many local residents have worked there before and soured on the experience. As a result, Smithfield often looks far afield for new employees.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/12/us/12smithfield.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Stories like this almost make me feel bad for the poor company. Maybe if they didn't hire illegals to suppress wages this wouldn't be a problem.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    The companies are required by law to verify the immigration status from documents provided to them. The employee and employer are to complete an I-9.

4. bbkeo

bbkeo Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2007
    winston salem nc
    Yes they are but as the story states Smithfield was a little lax on that policy. They had to get rid of over 600 employees because immigration came in and looked at there files. Not every employer follows the letter of the law. That is probably the biggest problem with illegal immigration. If companies were not so willing to turn a blind eye maybe we wouldn't have so many here.

5. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    The fines are hefty. Up to 1,000 dollars per violation of the I-9. The government needs to enforce the laws.

6. bbkeo

bbkeo Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2007
    winston salem nc
    The government is starting to enforce them a little more than they were. The only problem is they are not really putting alot of fines on the employers. They are just rounding people up and deporting them. Which is a start but it would be nice if they started going after the employers more.

7. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    This form was mandated during the Reagan administration. Fines are between 250 and 5500 per incidence. Neither party has been active in making business comply with the laws in place.

A company receives enough of these fines and they will adhere to the law. After all, they enforce penalties against our profession don't they?

8. bbkeo

bbkeo Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2007
    winston salem nc
    It would be nice to see the fines imposed. I guess we will see if the government is serious about it or not.

9. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    If you have followed any of the immigration talk, you will notice that the President was concerned about who would do harvesting. Need more be said.

10. bbkeo

bbkeo Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2007
    winston salem nc
    I know but I can dream can't I.

11. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    Yes you can.

If it is anything like the plant west of where I live, the pay structure took a dive.

They were paying close to 14.00 per hour. After the influx of mexicans, legal or not(Some were and probably still are), the pay dropped to about 8.00 per hour.

Good for business profit margins.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.