Cracked/Rusted trailer c-channel

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Intnav, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Intnav

Intnav Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2019
    I have an 87' International bobtail, basically a full resto. Converting to a dry box, used to be a reefer truck. ANYBODY know the legal way to repair damaged, cracked, and or rotted trailer c- channels.
    Do I have to replace each C-channel, or can I butt weld/add plate (what size, any specific weld type) to some of the more corroded ones? Any proper suggestions will help, THANKS!
    (Will post more pics very soon!)

Attached Files:

SimpleTrucker Thanks this.
  2. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Not the same truck. But I drove a w900 once for a construction company.
    It had a crack in the frame by the steering box. Supposedly it was a common problem. I don't remember what year the truck was. I wanna say 99.

The shop welded the crack. And bolted a plate on both sides of the frame. A splint. 1/4" plating.

It never held.

Don't know what they ended up doing with the truck.

Something to think about on your quest for repairs.

Intnav Thanks this.
  3. DaytonTD

DaytonTD Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Here in Canada the I-beams rot in the centers from the salt, instead of cutting the end rail off and unscrewing all of the deck to replace the I beam they take 1/8" flat plate and stitch weld a piece on both sides in between the top and bottom lip. Either 2' sections on the ends or a 4' section in the center, whichever is rotted. Not sure about the top itself being rotted, I'd think that the entire section would have to be replaced but I could be wrong.

Intnav Thanks this.
  4. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    The best way is to remove the entire "C" channel, cross member.

I replaced a few in my drop deck trailer that way.

I bought a trailer that someone just ground off the deck bolts and put another channel inside the rotted section. Then welded that in place.

What ever works, I guess.
    I don't know if one is better than the other. Both ways work.

Good luck

• Draft saved Draft deleted