CRE from slc school, to company solo

Discussion in 'CR England' started by Brownyjr36, Apr 23, 2012.

1. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    That's why you go get a trailer washout ... with stuff like that "mashed" into the floor, you are not going to get it food grade clean by sweeping it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. russellkanning

russellkanning Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Frost, TX
    Beacon is my friend

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  4. frog2011

frog2011 Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2012
    indiana
    "Weeks 7-8- phase 2 trainer picks me up. I help his former student carry her gear, including chains, (WTF), to her room, and find out she wanted off his truck, great. Find out later I am only one to not share this view. He has exactly 7 weeks more exp. Than me. We drive a 2010 Int.pro-star eagle, 10 speed ef trans. The prostar shift much differently than Freightliner. it was good exp. To drive. Trainer was decent enough guy, though I agreed with little he had to say about anything. I learned to bite my tounge, and try to keep a positive attitude. CRE had just dropped phz 2 from 2 months, to 12,000 miles. So I knew it was only for a little while. Just got tired of some of the off the wall things he would do and say, that made no sense. Like his refusal to move tandems back forward after unloading. You don't have to if empty he would say. Ok. Finally I said I would not drive the GD thing like that. If he wants to we could sit there till his hours came back. Many other goofy stuff."

let me guess brownyjr36 this chick was dropped off at richmond, in and your phase 2 trainer was a guy named roger?

5. russellkanning

russellkanning Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Frost, TX
    I laugh whenever I see guys driving down the road with the tandems all the way back.
    How do they make right hand turns?

6. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Not all states have bridge laws ... Shippers know it and will max a load out or just not give a rats rear as to how they load it. The only way to scale it is to slide your tandems all the way back ... As far as how do we make right hand turns? ... With enough experience you will learn how to manage it.

7. sdlm

sdlm Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Yeah, I have to leave them like that to scale lots of times. It is just like driving with a longer trailer, when my tandems are all the way back it feels like a 53' when I have a 48' and the same jump when I take a 53' and do that, it just feels longer

8. scitechsuperfreak

scitechsuperfreak Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2012
    I got my Class A from England. I go home. Get my hard copy. Got two calls from Horizon. Turned them down. Now they are dragging their feet to get me back in school to get in line for a company truck.

Two questions:

1. I hear of a guy named "Jerry" that can help me get back to the school and cut through the red tape. Anybody knows this guy in SLC? Anybody even know his last name???

2. Anybody know where to find more information about these grants they are getting from the "gum-mint" for each student that runs through their mill? You know... the 10,000 going in + 10,000 after graduation???

Thanks

9. The Snowman

The Snowman <b> Master of Confusion</b>

Nov 12, 2012
    Sacramento, Ca.
    Got your class A, just go to a company that will return your calls.

10. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Once you are being trained on the truck, the internet will be useful for watching the monthly training video, there is a test at the end of the video. I'm not sure how it would work out if you just used a cell phone, I guess it would be the same, just smaller. I don't know what each trainer will expect when you start out on the truck..My husband prefers to train with the person knowing and doing as much as they can. You may not do any of the planning at first, you know just drive on this road till I tell you to stop, but sooner or later you will need to know what is going on with the load.

I guess a lot of people use their phones for the GPS or to locate a place, but I like the computer. Do you have an internet air card. It is just a tool to use, but when figuring your load and the route given, it is nice to see the route on the computer screen. Sometimes you may have to even hunt out the correct address on some of the places, like being the FBI sometimes. Also if you are using a GBS, some of the addresses are in rural areas where they have renamed a road, or use hwy numbers and the GPS won't pick up the address: I locate a address in the area on a cross street, or up the road, whatever to get it at least programmed to the general area. I help the husband from home now doing this. I also you a free site, www.findfuelstops.com, it will list truckstops (some of whom will not have parking), and if you click onto a place it will then have the scales and rest areas, Walmarts (need to check before planning on parking on their lot). It helps out finding hopefully something in the way of truck parking and planning your trip.

I know a lot of the drivers, esp those who are old school don't believe in GPS, but that is one thing you may want to save for asap. Husband has a Roadmaster but there are other brands out there, just make sure it is a truck routed one, a car unit does not take in account if there is a low bridge or restricted road. Once again it is only a tool and you should always check out the Truckers road atlas for any restrictions, etc , before driving. The GPS will also help you figure the time you will be at from point a to b so you can keep track of your timeframe easier.

Anything that helps you to do the job is a perk. I don't know if all trainers do this or not, but have a notebook, usually one of the 8x10 size so when you are on the truck training you can copy the info down about the assigned load, Pro #, Customer name and address, BOL# or PO#, temp, p/u dates and times, and delivery date and times, weight, pieces. And the route solution with the Hwy #'s. I don't think it is as bad anymore with the qualcomm going down, like it was a few years ago, and you being out somewhere with no info about the load.

There are sites on TTR that have more info for new drives to companies, it may help to read some of the threads.

Goodluck to you.

cyn1123 Thanks this.
  11. two tone

two tone Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2011
    San Diego Ca.
    Browny you still here?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.