CRE from slc school, to company solo

Discussion in 'CR England' started by Brownyjr36, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Brownyjr36

Brownyjr36 Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Coon rapids, mn
    Sorry I haven't posted in so long. I could not access my ttr account for some reason. After trying to reset my password about ten times I just gave up. Finally I got it straightened out, which makes my day cause I kind of missed ttr.
    So here is the update, I left CRE on oct. 17. I had taken train the trainer at the end of august, and had trained, or tried to train a couple of students, and was making out well on the paycheck. However I realized that I did not care to be in broom closet sized space with another man for weeks on end. One night I was browsing web and checked out JB hunt webpage. I filled out some online pre qual. crap and saw I qualified for some decent paying stuff with good sometime. The next day they called and in an hour, (while I was getting unloaded at a supervalu dc, with my student sitting there) I was all set up for orientation in Chicago. I told student that I would stick around long enough to complete his training, which I did, sort of. He failed his upgrade road eval, and had to go back out for another 10 days. I still talk to him. he leased a truck against my advice and is not to happy at this time.
    Arrived at JB hunt orientation oct 22, 4 days of orientatio, then home for 4 days, then out with trainer to learn intermodal ops, for 4 more days. That was weird, but he didn't try to teach me how to drive, he just showed me all the things involved with intermodal and the Chicago rail yards.
    Got my truck on nov 1st. 2010 fl century, and had it for about a week and a half before they stepped me up to 2010 cascadia. Not as nice a truck as what I had at CRE. However, my new schedule is 5 days out, and 2 days off. I run during the day usually and work hard. 12-14 hours a day, and run in IL, IA, WI, and my home state, MN. Since getting a truck, I have not made less than 800 a week after taxes. They advertise 55K, and I should clear that if things go the way they have been, gross has been between 1050-1150. One thing bad, Bennys don't start for 90 days.
    To anyone considering CRE. If they still have the 6month deal, it's not to bad. Do not lease, you will have to pay school back either way as I understand it. Get into whatever fleet will get you a truck the soonest. You have to be patient and flexible, if you make it 6 months and you are not feelin it with CRE then find a job that suits you. CRE provided me what I was looking for, a cheap way to get my CDL, and some experience. I was well liked by my DM, and he was disappointed when I left. They asked if they could change my mind. I said sure if you can get me home 2 days a week, and promise me 55k. That got a chuckle.
    Anyhow, I will still check in here and will do my best to help/answer anyone who has ??? About either company.

Dewey120 and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bigrigbound

Bigrigbound Bobtail Member

Dec 23, 2012
    I'm seriously consider CRE for the free school deal.. About how much per week are you averaging? Thanks

4. Bigrigbound

Dec 23, 2012
    So how's it going? I'm considering CRE.

5. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    i think they have changed the training time once again, phase 1 will be on the truck longer now. Also I heard the demo leases are for 9 mo now.

6. Bigrigbound

Dec 23, 2012
    You wrote "Do not lease, you will have to pay school back either way as I understand it." What exactly do you mean by "either way?" Different leasing option? I've been accepted for CRE 6 month deal, but getting cold feet reading about the bad experiences. Thanks

7. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL

8. Brownyjr36

Brownyjr36 Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Coon rapids, mn
    Once you sign a lease with horizon, you must submit your resignation with CRE. Meaning you are no longer an employee. I know that is true, what I don't know is if that negates your contract addendum releasing you from your loan for school after 6 months of employment. One guy I know was hired by a lease driver to be his full time 2nd seat. He had to pay for school. Some guys say that when you lease you still don't pay for school. I never know what to believe when it comes to what lease drivers tell me. Some of them don't want to tell you, or don't want to admit or acknowledge some of the bad things that happen to them.
    If you lease, and things go wrong, (which they most likely will). Most people quit long before 6 months have gone by. So not only will you have lost your backside, you will have to pay back that school loan. See what I am saying by either way???
    If you are new to trucking, just don't lease. The last thing you want or need, is to be trying to figure out what you are doing, while having the very stressful demands of the CRE lease program.
    It's been well documented on ttr, Most people fail. not all of them, I know some who have done ok, and after a while made very good money.

Bigrigbound and Futurextruckerx Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.