Creative way to haul and travel

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by BigGP, Jul 24, 2018.

1. BigGP

BigGP Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Hey there so we are currently in a business of hauling ENCLOSED cars for about 4 years. I have decided to get behind the wheel and drive myself instead of dispatching only. So the plan is to teach my wife to get loads for the couple of my drivers so she can travel together and keep everyone loaded.

We got 2011 Ram 3500 Dually + 2 car hardside enclosed that is nearly 26k lbs loaded
    Another setup my driver runs is 1998 Ford E350 Ambulance truck + 2 car hardside enclosed.

Since we keep visiting places and traveling in mind i wanna get E350, F350, F450 or such as but specifically ambulance truck so i can convert it into little camper for both of us. The enclosed trailers we run are bumper pull type and there is no problem. However, my question is if there is any way of using a flatbed bumper pull trailer that could haul for example 2 bigger units (2x F350's etc). Are there any other types of hitches that could be used other than regular one as it is rated for 12.000lb and it is definitely not enough. Also goose neck is not an option for ambulance truck.
    Reason of that is finding loads of regular cars are easier and big units usually pay as much as enclosed

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Look for a 2-1/2" receiver....load ratings are higher.

Also, when a friend of mine was over swapping gears around in his transmission, I noticed the 2" receiver on his 1-ton dually was only rated for a 5,000# trailer. He'd never noticed, since the hitch was already on there when he bought the truck and seemed surprised anyone would put any hitch rated that low on a dually pickup. The hitch I installed on my 3/4-ton Ford is 10k rated, with that rating bumped up to 12k if a weight distributing hitch is used. Any higher than that, you need a 2-1/2" receiver.

BigGP Thanks this.
  4. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Just buy a camper to tow with.

5. BigGP

BigGP Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2016
    No thanks. Campers are 3 times more expensive so i dont see why i would put 100k miles on an expensive camper and sell it for a quarter later when Ambulances are low in price.

6. BigGP

BigGP Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Now i see 2-1/2" go up to 20k so that would be enough for me. Thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.