CRETE - A Year in Review

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by evertruckerr, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jmurman

Jmurman Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Baltimore MD
    I live in Perry Hall and have no problems in getting home. Last time in I parked at New Kingstown due to needing service.

davenjeip Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. davenjeip

davenjeip Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Port Charlotte, Fl
    Thanks to both of you.

I'm going to give Crete a call this week. Experienced local driver, but no OTR and haven't driven in three years, so I'll have to see what they think of me.

4. Jmurman

Jmurman Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Baltimore MD
    Just curious...why are you giving up the local job?

5. davenjeip

Dec 20, 2009
    Port Charlotte, Fl

Gave up my last tractor trailer job a few years back when I had an opportunity to work for myself doing something I loved. Awesome while it lasted, but the economy killed it.

Current local job is driving a school bus for special needs kids in Baltimore city, working for next to nothing. I need money, I hate kids, and there are some other issues as well, so it's long overdue to get out of there.

Nowdays, I can't get anyone to cut me a break on a local job. Seems that pretty much everyone wants either a year of OTR and/or some recent experience.

As for the ones that are willing to talk to me, most of them either aren't worth the pay or include a crazy amount of physical labor.

6. Longbow

Longbow Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Ohio

You have a decent chance of getting on as long as your MVR is in tip top shape. Plan on being put with a trainer for at least a few weeks though. I hadn't driven OTR for about 3.5 years and Crete put me with a trainer for 3 weeks (ended up being two).

7. Longbow

Jan 22, 2009
    Ohio
    It looks like my first day back on the road is going to start off badly. I wasn't supposed to check in till 0800 tomorrow but I figured I'd offer up my services to dispatch tonight to see if I could get put on something better than I usually get coming out of the house. They offered me a load out of Cincinnati that didn't pick up till 2300 tonight and delivered in Romeoville tomorrow at 1500. That ain't good enough to get me to leave early so I politely thanked dispatch for their efforts but told them I would wait till morning if that was all they had. A few minutes later I get a nasty message back that they were going to notify day shift that I wasn't willing to help them out of a bind when they needed me. I proceeded to remind them that I didn't have to make the offer and that I had till tomorrow morning to check in. I further informed them that I would never make that offer again. Never heard back from them. I routinely make that offer in hopes that there might be something good available knowing that I can turn a load down if it is unproductive. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. No big deal. But for them to come back and threaten me we'll, that's something new.

8. davenjeip

Dec 20, 2009
    Port Charlotte, Fl
    Got one ticket on my record, but it's not a moving violation. "Failure to carry registration", or some wording like that from when I was towing my Jeep on a trailer through Virginia and my tags hadn't shown up in the mail yet. Can't see anyone giving me a hard time about that one.

Criminal record is spotless and I've been through four or five background checks in the past year, so I know they come up clean. Four valid DOT physicals in my pocket and I can even pass a drug/alcohol test.

Every endorsement on my license, with the only restriction being for Class A busses. Even have a passport and a TWIC card.

Just need a couple days behind the wheel to get the feel for it again, and teach me the differences between local and OTR. If they want to send me with a trainer, even if it's for the same 8 weeks they do for the rookies, I'm cool with it.

Thanks for answering my questions. Now I just need to give them a call and see what they have to say about me.

9. Longbow

Jan 22, 2009
    Ohio

Sounds like your attitude is squared away. That always helps. Good luck to you.

10. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Quote: "Current local job is driving a school bus for special needs kids in Baltimore city, working for next to nothing. I need money, I hate kids."

LOL!! Classic. Is that dedication or insanity? A good case of you gotta do what ya gotta do. Good luck Dave with the job search.

11. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    You should have reminded them that the times you did help them out of a jam, the only thing you got for it was a chronic need for industrial strength prep-H! If they'da opened the door of opportunity like that for me...brother they wouldn't get a msg in edgewise...my keyboard would be smoookin'...I would have to sit and wait for the transmit buffer to clear I would have so many messages ready and waiting....and I'd probably have to get a butt-chewin' from my terminal manager again...but that's me...I am 'that' driver...

My paranoia got the best of me...no sleep test, once empty in Ennis, I was given a load, 2 stop, Memphis - then Springfield, MO...for Wed's and Thurs. The next driver in line behind me, got a 1 stop to OH, for any time up to Thursday....go figure.

I did speak to another driver, who was asking to go through the sleep test, because all of his deductible's are paid, and has hit his max out of pocket expenses for the year...but they refused...he was told they are going terminal to terminal and he was from the wrong terminal, so I guess the 'Wilmer only - testing association' club has been expanded.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.