CRETE - A Year in Review

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by evertruckerr, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evertruckerr

evertruckerr Heavy Load Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I got a call from the training department yesterday and they asked me I knew how to run refeer loads. At the time I assumed they were simply trying to get me to Lincoln to get my new truck and were thinking about putting me on a Shaffer load to get me there.

I'm not big on running refeer freight, but for something that short, what the heck. So I tell her "yea, I pulled refeer for a few years, no problem".

"Great, Shaffer is looking for finishing trainers.I'll let them know you are available, Thanks". Click!

No wait! Huh? What just happened? Did I just volunteer for something really stupid?

Kimmi and Rattlebunny Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. steveluc3

steveluc3 Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2008
    wintersville, ohio
    Evertruckerr, gotta say your updates are very informative and good reading. Sounds like you have the right amount of patience to be a trainer.

evertruckerr Thanks this.
  4. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Funny, when you say it like that, that's the vision I have of our operations department

5. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    You'll still get a Freightliner, with new fairings...maybe you'll no longer be a member of the Creaffer club. Except you'll be finishing the Shaffer drivers.

I guess I need to get my truck into the shop...since mine is in the beginning stages of what your's is doing...puffff, stutter stutter, miss, miss. If it were a gas engine with spark plugs and a distributor, I'd swear it's cross-firing

6. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I've been back annoying op's again.

Since I last checked in, I've been busy, but I've also been stirring up trouble.
    After I finished my 2 stop, I was sent on a repower of a truck in the Joplin shop. A long run to Wally in Woodhaven, PA. Then up US219 to Buffalo to pick up a load to Montgomery, IL... Then Minooka to Sikeston, MO... Bloomfield, MO to Midway, GA...and then my hours started running mighty thin...in fact, it was getting so short, I was doing the 15 minute post-trip so that I could use all my available hours on driving. After that, Statesboro, GA to Williamsburg, VA...then the fun starts. P/U cat litter out of King William, VA to Marcy, NY...with only 45 minutes left, they sent me to Forestport, NY...to a independent water plant...When I got to the shipper, they laughed...and said 'they sent another driver to pick up this load' which isn't a good omen. It turns out that the brain trust in Lincoln sent in another driver in earlier that day to pick up the same load, and they were having equipment problems, and didn't have the product ready, and Crete was told it was unlikely that they would have it available before the following day. This didn't deter operations though...they sent me up there with the phrase 'it will be preloaded'...but then after several less than courteous messages back and forth, they said wait on the load...it took them until after midnight to get the product ready, but all evening when I'd check with them, they said a couple more hrs and 2 turned into 4 then into 8 hours...without napping. I informed dispatch that I would be late because of this delay, and was told the standard 'let us know the new ETA'. Once loaded I informed op's of the new eta, only to be ignored...and again in the morning I told them the new eta, only to be ignored again...once I got to the receiver they had never been informed...and the customer back-charges Crete $250 for late 'no call' deliveries. And since I broke yet another cell phone, I was unable to call, and requested several times that dispatch call...only to be ignored.

After I got that settled I went to the waterplant up near Breinigsville to Fredericksburg VA...and then back to King William to Marcy...(that's 3 times thru D/C in 4 days...my left leg is still sore) Once m/t in Marcy, I got a shag from Marcy Wally to Sharon Springs, NY Wally...I was the 5th driver to carry a transfer load, the bad side, they only had 4 empty trailers, so I, and another driver that showed up after I did, had to wait until the next day in the middle of nowhere NY. Let's just say, this is where the major 'butt showing' side of my personality kicked in. After suggesting several options, I was told to wait...after several more messages, I offered to just start bobtailing home (to FL from upstate NY and letting them reassign the truck to someone else) because waiting was only hurting the company's reputation because I am more than willing to explain how well we are being treated, and how uncoordinated this company's whole 1-dimensional planning system is, to anyone that asks how well I like working here. This prompted a message from my terminal manager concerned with my leaving...I guess she is still convinced that I am a 'good' driver and doesn't want me to leave...but probably doesn't want me to run too many more drivers off either. The crazy thing, they wouldn't let us bobtail back over 54 miles to Marcy to pick up one of the many extra emptys there, but instead they authorized us to bobtail 27 miles one way on the toll road to a truck stop, and 27 miles back....wait, that equal's 54!!!! and there is less toll between Sharon Springs and Marcy...

Once we got back the next morning to pick up our emptys...we both sent in our empty trailer number within seconds of each other... the other driver got his offer, load info and was waiting on directions...meanwhile, I still hadn't gotten anything. It took a message about picking up right where my messages left off yesterday to get something rolling. Rotterdam to Madison, AL, then Franklin, KY to Valdosta, GA... When the fun originally started up in Sharon Springs I had requested hometime ASAP. Now Valdosta, GA is 70 miles from home, thinking that maybe that this was my home load...instead, they sent me to Albany, GA to pick up a load to Macclenny, FL...which is 80 miles from home....that makes sense to me...

So now I'm on R&R...(to re-evaluate and re-assess my value and desire to continue this fun)

7. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I'm curious...how many miles do you have on your current truck. Since my truck number is 360 trucks later, I was wondering how much longer I will have my horse(without any early departure due to breakdown). If they are on a 4 year cycle on trucks, and we have 5000 units (not exact I know, but easier to do the math) that's 1250 trucks/yr, or 312+/- per quarter. Using that math, it would sound like I'm gona be due the 1st quarter, or maybe the early 2nd quarter next year...but I only have 345,000 miles. And if I keep running like I am, by Jan. I will have just under 400,000 by then.

I'm like you, I don't want to get rid of my microwave and bigger inverter that my APU uses. I am trying to drop a few pounds before my physical next August so that my BMI doesn't trigger a 'obstructive sleep apnea' advisory. Even though I use a crock pot more and more, it helps to have a microwave for leftovers. If I lose it, I would kinda feel a little odd if I walked into the truck stop with my tupper ware meal...I mean I see drivers do it all the time, but I would just feel funny, not buying anything, just using their appliances.

I ended up buying a bigger crock pot at wally that works on a 200w inverter...there were a number of units that took more power, but the one I got uses 190w on high...and I can cook about anything in it...and it tastes better than the truck stops restaurant and cheaper to boot.

8. davenjeip

davenjeip Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Port Charlotte, Fl
    Thanks for all the advice here, and I wish y'all the best, but it looks like I no longer have a need to learn about the workings of Crete.

Got my letter in the mail yesterday informing me that they are not going to hire me. No reason stated, although there was a long list of possible causes, but being a form letter it was all pretty standard. At least they were kind enough to give me some notice, which is a lot more than I can say for most of the other companies I applied to.

9. evertruckerr

Oct 14, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    WEEK THIRTY ONE
    Monday, August 2nd through Sunday, August 8th

This was just about as good of a week as one could expect as an OTR driver running a legal logbook.

It started waking up in my own bed on Monday morning and taking my time getting out of the house as opposed to getting up at 5am. The reason for this was that because I had picked up my load Friday morning and parked it in the yard for the weekend I didn’t have to worry about getting to the yard early enough to get an empty trailer and then wait around for dispatch to give me something to do. I knew that I only had to pickup my student from the hotel and head on over to the truck and start my 1800+ mile run to Atlanta. It was a drop delivery and three good days of driving would get me there in plenty of time to beat the midnight Wednesday delivery deadline. As a matter of fact, if I didn’t waist time along the way I would be there by 6pm with a few hours left on my logbook for the day to get started on my next load. I was dropping a General Mills load and would undoubtedly be pulling a loaded trailer out of the same place.

I dropped the load in the early evening as planed and was rewarded with a 783mi trip going to the middle of Illinois with another wonderful drop anytime delivery. Gotta love it!

I arrived with little time on the log book and planed on finding a place to parks after dropping my load, but dispatch had other plans. There was a live load that needed to be picked up nearby going to Nevada, MO(438mi loaded). It only took a little quick math to know I didn’t want anything to do with this load. It had a pickup window for the following morning of 6am to 10am and needed to be delivered by 2pm. Well it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that if I arrive a 6am for a live load, there is no way I can go 438mi and make a 2pm delivery.

I’m sure that this load was suppose to be picked up the day before, which would have allowed for a timely delivery, but as it was now playing out I was being set up to be burned. The biggest problem that I faced was the day of the week for which this load was scheduled to deliver. That day would be Friday with a 6am-2pm delivery. What that told me was that I would be going to a first come, first unload facility and they wanted the last truck to pull in no later than 2pm so that everyone would be unloaded by their quitting time, at which time everyone would be going home. And as we all know, quitting time on Friday is always done with a bit more urgency than any other day.

The $64 question was, “What is their quitting time and how late can I arrive and still get unloaded?”

Once loaded I sent off a message to dispatch explaining that I was waiting at the gate when the shipper opened in the morning, was the first one loaded and out of the gate within the hour and even with that urgency there was absolutely no way this load could be delivered as scheduled, “Even if I drive straight through with a 10min stop for fuel, I would be hard pressed to arrive by 15:00 (one hour late)”. I followed that up with a request to contact the receiver to find out if I could pull in after the 2pm deadline and still get unloaded today, or if they would unload me on Saturday morning. Not that I wanted to wait till Saturday morning, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world because with the deadhead miles of this load I would be sitting at 500+ mi by the end of Friday, not terrible. If neither of these options were possible I asked to Tcal the load in Kansas City.

I knew they would resist the the Tcal due to out of route miles, but there was no way I was going to sit in the middle of nowhere in a parking lot all day Saturday and Sunday with no truckstop within 50 miles just because dispatch didn’t get this load covered in time. I was hoping that battle would never come to fruition.

A few minutes later I got a message that they were working on rescheduling the delivery appointment and shortly after that I got a message asking me “When can you be there?” That right there told me that the customer was closed on Saturday and today was still a possibility if I could get there sometime close to 2pm. I did some Jethro Clampett cipherin’ and came up with “15:15 if all goes well” and informed dispatch as such. That garnered me a “Go ahead and take it in today”.

Ok, now I know that the customer will be closed all weekend. I also know that I’m good with a 3:30pm delivery or so, but don’t know how much later I can get away with. But I do know if I arrive too late I will be spending the entire weekend waiting for a Monday delivery and my weekly mileage total will not be good (not to mention, two days in the back of a truck with a trainee is not my idea of a good time). If I get there too late a tcal will be impossible because there is no way I can backtrack once there. The only way I can swing a tcal is to demand one now, or avoid that whole confrontation and hope for the best and get to the customer ASAP.

Off to the customer we go with the trainee in the passengers’ seat. There is absolutely no way we make it with him in the drivers seat, this one was going to be all me. I apologize in advance for the long day with no stops. We would be making one 10min stop for fuel, Period. We couldn’t not afford to waist one second on this trip. It was going to be tight because the majority of the trip was on two lane roads and this trip also had me driving through the heart of the Ozarks smack dab in the middle of tourist season with a very long string of traffic lights along the way.

The endless stream of small towns and traffic lights took their toll and cut deeply into my built in time cushion on this trip and I was starting to get worried. We were getting close to our final destination, but the minutes were passing a tad bit faster than I wanted to see and the situation wasn’t helped out by my trainee’s sudden announcement that he couldn’t bear it any longer.

Despite my repeated suggestions that he not drink too much soda, he was now in desperate need of relief and waited until a very unfortunate time to tell me so for there wasn’t a single truckstop for the remaining 100 miles of the trip and it took almost an hour to find a parking area large enough to accommodate a tractor trailer. It didn’t help matters that this particular trainee doesn’t exactly move with purpose and by the time he was back in the truck six precious minutes had elapsed.

Another 45mins passed before arriving at the customer at 3:32pm and another 15mins was eaten up before I was able to get parked and find the shipping office. It didn’t help that this was a chemical plant and every door was locked and no one wanted to answer the intercom, but I finally found the man with the power and announce my arrival and desire to deliver my load.

The first thing he did was look at the clock and give a hushed whistle and a slight shake of the head that wasn’t so much directed at me, but more of a body language thing that conveyed a serious lack of confidence in a positive response to my request. He then picked up the phone and had a short conversation which ended with an “I didn’t think so”.

My heart sunk and I feared the absolute worst but was given a reprieve when I was told that they didn’t have an empty trailer available and I would have to be live unloaded, “Don’t waist any time and get back to the dock immediately, the unloader was on his way out of the door when I called”.

“By the skin of my teeth!”

It was the perfect lesson for the trainee. All week long I had been stressing the importance of 15mins . He just couldn’t understand why I insist on 15min breaks during a work day as opposed to 30-45min breaks when the load has an anytime delivery. My answer is always, “It may not matter today, but you never know what will happen tomorrow or next week.” This particular load made my point crystal clear; just one single extra 15mins anytime during the previous week would have resulted in 2½ days of sitting in the back of the truck in the middle of a dirt lot waiting to deliver a load.

Instead of that fate, I put in an MT call minutes later (the forklift driver was highly motivated and unloaded the trailer in 20mins flat), and shortly there after we were on our way to pickup a preloaded trailer one hour up the road headed to York, PA. OK, that’s not a storybook ending, but an 1132mi trip to PA is better than endless days in a parking lot.

I was able to get out of the PA load anyways because I ran out of hours along the way in Columbus and didn’t want to work the trainee too hard. I though about having the trainee drive the final stretch of the trip while I logged On-Duty in the passengers’ seat which would have given me a 4400mi week, but I decided to give us the day off and tcalled the load in Columbus. I needed to put the truck in the shop for some transmission work anyway, not that it did any good though. None of the mechanics in the Columbus terminal seem to think they have to show up for work and a chronically short staffed shop resulted in no repairs for my truck. What’s new!

The week almost ended disastrously, but good fortune was on my side to the tune of minutes and I closed out the week with a very healthy 3898 miles. Yea me!

Another rough week on the road as far as traffic accidents go though. I don’t know what’s going on, but I’ve been stuck in a ridiculous number of traffic jams due to accidents. Here are just a few that I had time to take a pic of this week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WEEK THIRTY ONE
    Monday, August 2nd through Sunday, August 8th
    Miles include deadhead

Superior, AZ to Covington, GA…………………………………………1868mi
    Covington, GA to Galesburg, IL………………………………………….783mi
    Henry, IL to Nevada, MO…………………………………………………..517mi
    Harrisonville, MO to Columbus, OH(tcal)……………………………730mi

Total Paid Miles………………………………..3898 Miles
    Actual Miles……………………3967 Miles

3898mi x .44 = $1715.12 + Training Pay $150 = $1865.12

Rattlebunny and 90125-2 Thank this.
  10. evertruckerr

Oct 14, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    It kind of gives me visions of Supersnacks chiledhood!:biggrin_25522:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  11. evertruckerr

Oct 14, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yup, from what I understand, trainers are being put in Freightliners, but it's not the Freightliner I'm going to miss. It's my beloved APU. Oh well. I knew it would happen eventually. But I guess I'll be better off with a new Freightshaker than an International, after crawling around in a new International last week I don't want anything to do with them. Wow, talk about no storage area. There is no way I would be able to deal with a trainee in a truck like that.

I did stop off at the Lincoln shop last month, maybe six weeks ago to address the misfire issue and they told me I had a slight manifold leak and something to do with the turbo (sensor or the like) needed to be repaired. This was on a Sunday and I had a Monday morning delivery in town and I was suppose to go back to the shop when empty.

They told me it wasn't a big issue, but the truck would have to go to Detroit and it would take a day or two to get it fixed. Well, you can just about guess what I thought about that idea. Not to mention the fact that my Mileage has been steadily increasing as the sputtering has been increasing.

My assumption is that too much air is being allowed into the system and affecting the emissions system. Basically running like it should before all the emission crap was bolted onto it. What ever the cause, I'm getting great fuel mileage, 7-7.2mpg and I've never gotten anything close to that in this truck. As a matter of fact, it had deteriorated to the 6mpg range in the not too distant past. Every time I put it in the shop I would let the diesel doc know and it would improve short term, but it eventually went to pot again.

Now I'm getting great fuel mileage, have more horse power than I've ever had and all I have to do is put up with an occasional puff of smoke and a bad case of the hiccups.

So I didn't go back to the shop.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.