Crete Carrier Corporation - Lincoln, Ne.

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by DeadManWalking, Mar 7, 2006.

1. LadyTrucker99

LadyTrucker99 Heavy Load Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Lexington, NC

Wow he quits just because he dont wanna pull reefers? :biggrin_2555:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. upsizer

upsizer Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2006
    I started with Crete and I'm going back next week. If they give me a reefer load to keep me moving, fine with me. I'd even be happy to pull a Hunt load as long as it doesn't involve tarping/untarping in ice and 50 mph winds without help. To me, the underpowered Freightshakers with the opti-idle and the taskmaster log department are worth it for the steady, well-paid practical miles and the knowledge that I'll never be pressured to do anything unsafe or illegal. I've now seen enough of the outlaw side of the business to realize how good I had it there ... or at least will have it there now that I have a full year in and am past the rookie mileage rate. No more of this business of logging twenty hour days as fourteen for me ...

4. rdkatwell

rdkatwell Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Southeast, TN
    I know hubby told him today they were just told that they have to get a passport in case he has to go into Canada. He has never went their before though. Said they would reimburse him (to a certain amount) for it. He also had to get hazmat (when he started) even though he doesn't carry it. (I guess it's just another - just in case thing.)

5. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    I would not mind doing it as I am getting money. I do not mean to be stupid but what is so bad? I have unloaded a refeer a before it was not that bad.

Kinghunter

6. Eaglerider

Eaglerider Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    I pulled reefers for the first 3 years of my driving carreer. I never truely had any good sleep while that reefer was running. After the last reefer company I pulled for was over I swore I would not pull another reefer. It's not only reason I stopped driving. The fact that a promise made to me was broken had some weight to my decision. Not to mention the day to day BS that all drivers face from dispatch, other drivers, and the general motoring public. Also staying on the road for 1 to 2 months at a crack is no longer appealing to me. Also the company dictating what kind of time off you can have after that 1 to 2 months doesn't sit well either. It is ultimately my decision. Please respect it.

7. trickshot

trickshot Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Ochlocknee, GA
    :biggrin_25510:I talked with my fleet manager last week and he said there was no specific date for Crete to pull reefers, but all new hires were getting reefer training. At the Marietta, GA terminal, it has been a common occurrence for some time now. Schaefer has been pulling dry loads for Crete for a while now also. My problem with that is this: I don't get reefer pay to pull a reefer, I don't get national pay when I run out of region and stay out 14 days, and it is a constant battle to get home. Dispatch will dispatch you on loads that cannot be delivered legally, as they no longer pay any attention to the daily hours you send in. You have to get downright rigid with them to run legal, as they are quick to tell you what you can do to make it legal. But they are not in the truck, don't know when you start your day, and don't have a clue about traffic and construction delays.
    For those of you who think Crete is the best thing going, I am proud for you.
    I have been driving accident free for 27 years and was looking to work till retirement with Crete. I have been with them for 7 months now, and there is not a person in Crete management that hasn't lied to me on at least one occasion.
    My idea is that we are all adults here, therefore there is no need for lies.
    Let's just have the straight scoop, the we can decide whether to go or stay.
    Trickshot

8. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    I know understand why people simply refuse to pull them or demand higher pay. For me, I could care less and all that matters is that I A) have the proper training an B) get the proper pay.

Hunter

9. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

The way I look at it, hauling a reefer can be a good thing, sure it can be a pain, buts something else you can have experience in hauling.

For example, I just have a regular CDL with the standard basic endorsements. No Haz Mat yet. But with that, I can legally haul hazmat. Then I can get tankers, doubles, triples...etc, making me more marketable to my company and others.

10. qcommkiller

qcommkiller Light Load Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Jefferson City, MO
    Well, I've already pulled one reefer, but it was my choice, and when I couldn't sleep with the dang thing, they found another driver who could deal with it. It was the reefer, or be stuck where I was waiting for Dry freight. I chose the reefer. I have heard NOTHING about this forced reefer thing anywhere except on boards. Also, that has been the ONLY reefer load I've ever been offered, and will probably be the last one. I'll just wait things out and see what happens, because obviously at the terminals asked about this, the answers you get depends upon the terminal.

11. New Driver

New Driver Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Jonesboro, GA
    I just wanted to say hello and after read this post about Crete and several others I have decided that this is the company I would like to join. As of right now my school is not on their list of schools but I was told by a recruiter and someone at the school that they were trying to get their paper work in so they can be on the approve list of schools.

My question is; if my school doesn't get on the approve list then what would be a good company to join. I have been doing research of companies and my list is like this:

Crete(read a lot of good things about this company)
    Roehl(read some where that it was close to being as good as Crete)
    Star(have a terminal 20-25 minutes from my house)
    CFI(read some where that this was a good company to work for but I was scared off when I read they was bought out by Con Way. Whats the deal with that?)
    US Xpress(I wouldn't mine starting my carrier of driving an auto)

Advice and opinion are welcome.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.