Crete has apparently decided to adopt Peoplenet.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Farmerbob1, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I had a Peoplenet device installed last week.

I am more than a little dissatisfied with the piece of junk.

The ONLY good thing about the device is its portability. The unit docks and charges at the docking station. It is a wireless tablet, so I am no longer tripping over the cable.

However, by every other standard, the thing is garbage.

1) The text and icons are light on dark. Instead of dark on light. Anyone who has ever read a paper book, or used any book reader or modern phone knows that dark on light is easier to see.

2) The order of incoming messages is backwards. I need new messages at the top of the queue, where I can access them without swiping up 5 times.

3) The device uses a touchscreen keyboard, with keys that are far too small, making every single typed message a pain in the ###.

4) The messaging protocol was apparently designed by a complete moron. In order to receive a message, both the sender AND receiver have to have the form template on the device. When a template becomes corrupt or is mysteriously deleted randomly by the device, the device will fail to receive that type message. It also fails to send an error message. I have lost two preplans and two fuel routing emails so far. In less than a week.

Crete's utilization of Qualcomm messaging has been rather depressingly lackluster in the time I have been here, but at least Qualcomms were sanely engineered (mechanical AND software) for use by truckers.

I have spoken to a couple other poor unfortunates who have had Peoplenet garbage installed in their trucks. Apparently frequent critical failures of message forms is the norm.

If this is not improved in short order, by the end of this year, I will have to seriously consider leaving the company simply because I do not want to stress out wondering if I am missing a preplanned because the office hasn't sent one, or if the Peoplecrap device decided to randomly fail again.

x1Heavy and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Ozark uses omnitracs and while it's not perfect its far better than what you describe.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  4. O.Henry

O.Henry Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    San Antonio,TX.
    I keep forgetting to to hit accept when I change status.

Lepton1, Bumper and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  5. kindastupid

kindastupid Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2018
    Problem number 2 can be changed in the settings. Default Home...System...Settings....Sort messages to ascending or descending.
    I am still learning mine & have had problems but I think I'm really going to like it once they get some things sorted out on their end. A lot of the complaining I hear is user error or simple ignorance, such as editing. Just a bit ago a Crete next to me was complaining that he could only edit a whole line and not split his edit. I said yes you can, he said "no you can't." I showed him on his unit how to do it. Now he's back to being happy with it until he runs into something else he can't figure out.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  6. farmboy73

farmboy73 Medium Load Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    I am not with Crete, but I recently had peoplenet installed. I have not been able to figure out the split editing either. Would you mind explaining please?

kindastupid Thanks this.
  7. kindastupid

Aug 30, 2018
    ok, I'll try it here. Say for example you are OFF DUTY from 1300-1500 and you want to change half that to sleeper. On the home screen hit 'eDriver Logs' then 'Annotations' then 'Forgotten DS' then hit 'Sleeper'. In the hours & minutes field make that 1400, in Location just enter where you are or where you were during that time. In remarks I usually just type 'correction' then accept and you're done. Go back and look at that days log graph and you might have to wait a minute but it will change according to what you just did. The line on the graph that you edited will be red & it stays red, this is normal, I assume so DOT can easily see you made an edit and ask you about it. It's not a violation if they do see it but they might want to ask why you edited it.
    Edit: I almost forgot, if the duty status you want to change was yesterday then obviously you need to change MM/DD/YYY field to yesterday along with the time

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    farmboy73 and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  8. farmboy73

farmboy73 Medium Load Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Thank you. Perhaps I have not been able to see that option because I selected the “current” as opposed to the “forgotten.”

kindastupid and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  9. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Thanks for the heads up on sort order!

However, my biggest problem with the unit is the fact that it randomly decides to fail to deliver critical messages.

kindastupid Thanks this.
  10. kindastupid

Aug 30, 2018
    I haven't had that problem yet. I did have a problem with load info not coming through, it came through on the phone app but not the unit itself

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  11. kindastupid

Aug 30, 2018
    I think a lot of people are selecting "current"

farmboy73 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.