Crete

Discussion in 'Crete' started by Powell-Peralta, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Powell-Peralta

Powell-Peralta Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2007
    i did not want to hi-jack the other crete threads so anyways as you may or may not have known, i took an urgent, last minute run to L.A.

Anyways, what happened was that i got on I-40 at Clinton Oklahoma (forgot the exit #) and then a crete truck got into the left lane to let me in. Now, since the engine was still cold ( i had just started my day) i decided to cruse at around 50-55 until the engine warmed up to 180 degrees. I then decided to bump up the cruse 1 mile per hour per every mile marker i passed. So it took me about 15 miles or so to get up to max cruising speed.

Anyways, after about 1/2 hour or so i think that i see a crete truck. One way i knew was that the DOT bumper on crete trailers are RED. Also in the distance whenever on curves, i could see the crete logo and stripes on the side of the trailer. The thing was i just could not catch him. And my truck ran about 68-9. This went on for i don't know how many miles---we passed that crooked water tower in texas wherever that was.

At about 20 miles east of Amarillo i discovered that CAT (my truck actually had a cat---and it was a freightliner) has something called "soft cruise" or something. Where the cruise control may set at say 65 but if you press the pedal down all the way,the truck will actually go a little faster. So then, and only then could i eventually pass this Crete truck. Remember this is approx 20 miles east of amarillo and we started off at Clinton Oklahoma. I could not catch him for that far.

So, what i want to know is how fast can Crete trucks really do? Remember that i know for sure that my truck did at least 68 mph. By the way, the truck number ended in xx if that makes a difference. I believe the first 3 or 4 numbers were xxx, but i dont remember for sure.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mycorky

mycorky Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Illinois
    What's your point? If you let a truck get ahead of you for 15 miles and then you are both running the same speed...you WILL have to go faster to catch up with the one in front. It does not mean the truck you are trying to catch is doing anything wrong.

Putting his supposed truck number on here is making trouble for someone because you couldn't catch up to them?

I don't understand your purpose behind this.

4. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    As for the cruise settings the computer can be set for all sorts of things. 65 on the cruise 68 on the pedal, etc. Its cool what all can be done to the computer. Or at least its cool if you aren't the guy that is restricted by it. :D :D

5. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    This is how it starts.

"My truck won't go as fast as other trucks at my company. I'll quit if they don't turn it up."

Who cares if your truck is slower or faster than another? Who cares if you couldn't catch that other CCC truck? It just needs to be able to go fast enough to get the job done on time.

You're worrying about nothing here.

6. knighton5

knighton5 Heavy Load Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Rose City
    I didnt understand the point on this either, or if it was a question.
    My truck will do 64 on cruise, 66 with the foot down, 85+ down a hill with no tailwind. DRIVE SAFE
    :biggrin_25525:

7. Powell-Peralta

Jul 17, 2007
    Ok, let me clarify:

1) I've always ASSumed that all Crete (and schaffer etc.) trucks can only do 65. I KNOW my truck did at least 68mph all day on the cruise. The only way i caught him was to press the pedal down all the way. I was only 47000 gross and it, if you're familiar with I-40 between OK city and amarillo, it's pretty flat. So i don't think the last two factors made a difference.

2) I didn't say that he was doing anything wrong. In fact, i'm happy for him---if in fact Cretetrucks can do better than 65.

2a) I posted the truck number (actually the last two digits because i don't exactly remember the first 3) because i'm thinking maybe senior drivers are assigned certain series trucks that go faster than the rest of the fleet? NEMF used to do that.

3) Crete/Schaffer is near the top of my list for possible prospects and if, in fact the trucks do better than 65, then that is a plus.

8. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Don't you think its possible that the other driver had found out that if he held the pedal down he could go faster too?

9. Powell-Peralta

Jul 17, 2007
    That's fine; What i'm trying to assertain is how fast can Crete/Schaffer trucks go?

i actually delivered some Crete trucks last year (freightliner centurys) but i don't remember if they could go faster than 65.

Oh well, maybe i'll just e-mail truckertom.

P.S. i don't think Detroit has the "soft cruise" thing so i don't think he was pressing down on the pedal.

10. Johnny.Blaze

Johnny.Blaze Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2007
    New Jersey
    so whats the point here ? his truck was faster or at least appeared to be. big deal. personally i think there are bigger issues out on the road than how fast somebodies truck goes.

11. wallbanger

wallbanger "Enemy of showers everywhere"

Hey bud, did you see the tractor pulling that Crete trailer? Could have been an O/O.
    And even if it was a crete truck, every now and then you find some fast ones in the fleet. My co-driver and I (back in my Covenant days) picked up an '04 FL that was turned all the way up, and would top out well over 90 mph!
    So, strange things do happen...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.