Crock Pot Cooking on the Road

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking in the Truck | Trucker Recipe Forum' started by BigRigCookie, Jan 12, 2011.

1. BigRigCookie

BigRigCookie Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Provo, Utah
    Any ideas out there for things to cook in a crock pot? My husband recently bought one for his truck and he put a little pork loin roast in with tiny baby potatoes and a bunch of those baby carrots along with half a jar of picante sauce. He said it just about drove him crazy all the way from Amarillo to his next destination it smelled so good and was so tender and delicious! He just might write a trucker's cookbook!:biggrin_25525:Watch the calories though, the potatoes don't need butter they are so good as is.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lil may

lil may Road Train Member

May 25, 2009
    Just throw anything you want to in there Get the crock pot bags for easy clean up

BigRigCookie and scottied67 Thank this.
  4. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Trilleth Thanks this.
  5. BigRigCookie

Jan 12, 2011
    Provo, Utah
    Yea, I guess just about anything would work. Those bags that line the crockpot sound like a great idea! Then he would just have to toss the bag when he's done. Gotta go get some! He can pick them up on the road at a Walmart too. :biggrin_25525:

scottied67 Thanks this.
  6. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Anything, vegetables, legumes, beans (I'm vegetarian)... anything that will cook slowly and it cooks while you drive. It's very good for cooking soups. I had three of them, those were 12 volt crock pots that plug into cigarett lighter in the truck. Problem was their plugs burnt out in a couple of months... I bought those at Pilot. Not sure if problem was with the outlets in the truck or with the crock pots... I gave up on them... :biggrin_25513:

scottied67 Thanks this.
  7. Mrfasttrack

Mrfasttrack Light Load Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Georgia
    Possum, the other white meat. Sorry seem to see them alot lately on the side of the road.

Aamcotrans, scottied67 and PurpleKW Thank this.
  8. BigRigCookie

Jan 12, 2011
    Provo, Utah
    I've had Possum. It is rather tasty done correctly. I prefer chicken though. Thanks for the ideas.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  9. PurpleKW

PurpleKW Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2010
    Chula Vista, CA
    "Possum... the other white meat!!!" BWAHAHAHAHA!!! :biggrin_25523: Dang, the pork industry might have something to say about that... although I've seen recipes for "Possum Stew" over in "The Hillbilly" (WV). If I'm gonna cook one of those varmints, I'd rather do it on a BBQ so the fur and tail get burned off... :biggrin_25523: Whaddy'all use for sauce with those critters??? Bullseye??? Sweet Baby Ray??? Rotella T??? Lucas??? WD-40??? I'm serious here... if I'm gonna cook one of those things, I wanna be sure to do it right!!! In fact, I'd like to see a recipe for "Deliverance Redneck Possum"---that way I know I'm not wasting my time on anything other than "haute cuisine!!!" 10-DASH-4??? :biggrin_25523: :biggrin_25514:

P.S. for Sammycat: "Skip the filet mignon tonight, darlin'... we're having POSSUM!!!" BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

scottied67 Thanks this.
  10. deathrider

deathrider Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Virginia
    there is a small store near me roughly 7 miles, that re-labels cans of potted meat, they leave the original on, but they make their own label for "potted possum" & put that over it.

they use several brand names I guess they buy which ever is cheaper.

one company complained about them re-labeling, but was told it was legal, since it was a "gag" & the original correct label was underneath

they sell "potted possum" for 2 times the price of potted meat, which is still higher than most places sell it for, but if any competitors have it on sale they buy it from them.

they have been selling it at least since I was a kid, & thats probably 30 years or so. I would walk to that store from my grandparents house which was in sight of it to get a can of it & eat it to freak my friends out.

Randy

scottied67 Thanks this.
  11. deathrider

deathrider Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Virginia
    there are quite a few good yahoo groups for crockpot cooking. you can bake breads, as well as a main course. my personal favorite cut of meat for crock pot cooking, is look for the small chuck roast, the end piece, alot of butchers, & many grocery stores are too lazy to cut the chuck eye out, & thats like having a ribe eye roast, but any good chuck roast, or shoulder roast will be good eating. then season how you want, & eat in 4 to 8 or so hours, depending how much meat, what temp your cooking it at & check to make sure meat has an internal temp of 150 degrees F for read meat & 170 F for pork, chicken.

as for the cut of meat if anyones interested, holler back & I will take pics of some chuck roasts that have eye in them, & show a little how to tell. I have been a meat cutter for 15 years, only did this to learn, because I was sick of being lied to by butchers, & wanted to know what I was looking at, & to always be able to eat good cuts, & fresh product, & I sorta got stuck, & now I am sick of it, hench me being here.

Randy

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.