Cross Country Drive - WA to NY

Discussion in 'Truckers' Weather & Road Conditions' started by Amgios, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Amgios

Amgios Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Hi there!
    Husband is military and we are being relocated to NY from Seattle, WA. We are leaving Saturday morning (1/19) to start our drive. I know there is a possible snow storm that could affect our travels. I have planned 2 routes and we will alter accordingly. I’m sure you will all say to check the weather the morning we leave to decide on the route - see 2 possible routes below. I will probably check back on here to ask your opinions on route the day of as well.

ANY ADVICE would be appreciated, i.e. any emergency supplies we should bring, or radio (we have onstar and that is satellite), we will bring some water, extra gas, and power bars (doubt we will need it but better to be prepared just incase).

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Amgios

Amgios Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Routes

Attached Files:

4. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Take more food than you est. also a way to keep warm if you have no engine, plan worst case always be happy at the other end you did not need it. Take a back packing stove ( very small ) and coffee tea or soup, warm drinks when stuck are great, do not use it inside the car.....

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Sort of a crap shoot... I would advise against taking the 90 shortcut in eastern Montana via us212 this time of year... it cuts off about 50 miles than staying on 90 but if anything happens out there you really are on your own.. as in not likely to have cell phone reception and is sparsely populated.

Best advice really is to take a guess what the weather will be like when you will be crossing. Or if you want to see some new roads... then go that way. 90 is a nice drive. Some decent mountain passes, in exchange for not traveling i80 across Wyoming. i80 in wy is like a twilight zone. Wind always howling and storms come out of nowhere, seems to be more crashes there than along 90 or 94. Pick your poison I guess.

6. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    as far as routing I would probably plan on running US90.

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    We run I-90/94 by default and we run that cross country trip regularly all year long because it will more often than not have fewer problems than across northern Wyoming and South Dakota.

Given the timing of this system you might be okay and may be able to “fall in behind the storm” and travel just after the crews have had time to clear the roads. Just don’t run 24/7 and catch up to it. I’m not for certain when it’s due to slam into the SeaTac area but if you can delay your departure at least 48-72 hours from that time, you might be okay.

You just don’t want to run in tandem with and in the middle of the storm.

8. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Seems to have more of a fresh ice problem down on I80 not to mention the gentle blowing breeze thru Wyoming.

9. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    If you are hauling a trailer (with pickup truck or other small vehicle) I would take i90 every time... that wind on 80 in wy combined with way more idiots thinking 75 is still a good speed would be taking your life in your hands cuz with a trailer and small vehicle you'll probably only be able to manage maybe 60, if you're lucky..

10. Amgios

Amgios Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2018
    We are taking his Chevy Silverado, no trailer! Military ships our stuff seperatly!

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    With this current incoming system, via Boise and Ogden and 80 should not even be considered. (I wouldn’t consider any time of year if running between Seattle and the northeast).

Southern Idaho and Utah and SW Wyoming is going to get hammered.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.