Cross Country WINTER DRIVE

Discussion in 'Truckers' Weather & Road Conditions' started by Amgios, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Amgios

Amgios Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Hi All!
    My husband and I will be driving cross country from Silverdale, Washington to Westchester, New York. We will be making our move back to New York around the second or third week in January 2019. I’m sure that road conditions can be very dangerous, so I decided who better to ask on route and safety advice than a well season group of truckers!! We have a 4 wheel drive pickup truck, and I will be packing a bag of safety items including food, water, blankets, flashlight/batteries, extra gas, etc. we will also be traveling with our boxer dog. I was planning on tacking the route outlined in the photo below, this way we won’t be up on the mountains in Montana and the Dakota’s. If you think there is a better route that won’t add too much time to our trip, please let me know!

Any advice is welcomed advice!

Thanks,
    Amanda

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Amgios

Amgios Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2018
  4. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Either way ( route) will require knowing the weather on the route.
    Wyoming is notorious for interstate being shut down in the winter time.
    The route you deside on will be determined by the current weather pattern at your time of departure.
    Its not uncommon for road conditions to be better across the top and be extremely screwed up across the middle or even lower across I-40

okiedokie Thanks this.
  5. Amgios

Amgios Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Do you have a good site to check the weather conditions?

6. driverdriver

May 30, 2011
    The weather channel.com
    Accu weather.
    I use The weather channel.com frequently in the winter time to get a good look.

7. Amgios

Amgios Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Oops! Sorry - I meant road conditions. Like which are closed or treacherous due to weather.

8. driverdriver

May 30, 2011
    Each state has their own like Wyoming is 511 on the phone I think it anyway.
    But the weather channel has interstate maps showing current and upcoming road conditions.

Dave_in_AZ and Amgios Thank this.
  9. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    The state DOT websites have lots of info about road conditions. They also have webcams in select locations to view conditions in real time.

Of course, if your cell reception gets spotty, that won't help. CB radio might be useful in that case.

Most truckstops have at least one of the display televisions hooked up to the weather channel. MIGHT be able to get some useful intel from truckers coming the other way.

If you haven't seen any snow in your direction, but every truck in the fuel line has a foot of snow atop the trailer and tire chains on the drives, you might wanna make some inquiries.....

10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Just keep abreast of broader and longer range winter weather forecasts, 2-3 days out here ...

WPC Winter Weather Forecasts

It may be more advantageous to go via Montana and I94. Wyoming I80 is notorious for bad roads for extended periods but it just depends how the weather systems line up that week.

We always try to avoid Wyoming and run via I94 in winter when traversing between Seattle/Portland and the northeast which is our wintertime bread and butter.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Amgios Thanks this.
  11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Have enough cash (or credit) to stay in a hotel for an extra day or two. Most storms blow themselves out within 24 hours. Give another 12-24 for the roads to clear up.

Once the roads are clear then worry about moving again.

Amgios Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.