Cross Country WINTER DRIVE

Discussion in 'Truckers' Weather & Road Conditions' started by Amgios, Aug 28, 2018.

1. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    Just use common sense and you will be fine. Wyoming is not as bad as most make it out to be. I run that entire stretch of I 80 both directions weekly.

Amgios Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That was on I-90 south of Sheridan WY.

Speed on ice would be around 15 to no more than 30 at most. (Only if you don't have wriggling and sliding on dirty ice only. Clean ice or black ice is very dangerous and you do maybe 10 if you need to)

You will find the other trucks and cars much more of a threat to you because they go too fast.

Snow? Well that depends on how much traction you have. It's ice that's very exciting. (Not.) Generally if you can walk on it you can drive on it. Information about winter weather situation as you go is the best weapon you two will ever have. The more you know before you get to a warned or emergency county or city etc the less trouble you will have.

The other poster is familiar with wyoming also however it is left out that after every winter storm in the night, the sun comes up to reveal dozens slid off the interstate and stranded. Some have had to set the reefer to 70, load be ###### and climb in waiting until morning as a matter of survival in the worst of it.

Amgios Thanks this.
  4. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    You might want to familiarize yourself to truckstops along the route also, just in case you need to duck into one or fillup. My husband has had to put chains on his truck to even make it into the truckstop because of deepsnow and ice on the lot. I don't remember now if he was on 70 or 80 at the time.
    You can use findfuelstops.com to enter city and state and it will line up stations along the way, you might have to put in a via point city to get it to go the roads you want to go on. If it is really snowy out, don't expect the exit ramps to be cleared in little places to a gas station, even to a truckstop it is not always the best condition.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.