My Experience with CRST Malone Lease Purchase

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by rtaylor2770, Apr 22, 2017.

1. rtaylor2770

rtaylor2770 Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Daphne, AL
    I'm a new driver at CRST Malone I'm lease purchasing the truck and I'm only been doing it a couple of weeks now.
    So I just wanted to post my experience and hope that some other CRST lease purchase drivers will post in and share their experiences as well.
    So far I have been making pretty good money and I'm pretty happy overall with the experience. I guess the only complaint that I would have is that you can't get loads on the weekends there's a skeleton crew on duty uniforms drivers manager but they can't assign eludes they can't do anything on the weekend.
    So I don't know if any of the other CRST drivers had the same problem if there's nothing on the load board or nothing available on Friday and you find something Saturday or anything that you can't get the load until Monday and they're only there in the office at 8 o'clock so you've already lost half a day.
    Kind of seems odd to me trucking companies are supposed to be 24 hour days 7 days a week operations and they take 25% of the load and do very little for it actually in my opinion.
    Because as a lease operator we pay for all the expenses and they get 25% of the money all they have to pay for are the DM's and customer service people office personnel. But other than that so far everything seems okay but I will keep you posted on how things go and I hope to see some other post from other drivers and their experience and maybe some advice for me.

fargonaz Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    So get a load that will run you the entire weekend and delivers on Monday morning. Course you'll get one that you can do based on the hours you have on your 70. And if you want to get a reset in you'll want to get one where you can at the least be parked up close by Saturday night.

I'm not with crst, I wouldn't even consider them based on the horrible stories we see on here. However my company only had a skeleton crew on weekends as well, if I make a delivery after 5pm CST on Friday, I'm stuck at a truck stop till Monday.

Seeing how this is new to you, you're gonna have to preplan your loads ahead of time

JimmyWells Thanks this.
  4. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    I'm an O/O with Malone. Very few flatbed shippers/receivers do anything on weekends and even fewer suddenly have a load to post on a weekend day. If you dont get dispatched by close of business friday either you werent proactive or nothing was available in your area. Its that simple. I'm aware of two shippers in the areas I run who ship 7 days a week and if I'm going to be in the area I make d###d sure I place a call several days in advance and keep calling until I get a load.

oldog1984, Gizmo61 and fargonaz Thank this.
  5. Macknificent1

Macknificent1 Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2017
    Hows your experience with malone so far?

6. KeithT1967

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    I like it. No hand holding at all here so to be successful you MUST do your own legwork. As an O/O I can pretty much do whatever I like without any second guessing. If I don't like the freight our agents have I go looking out of network.

On many occasions I've said no thanks to our freight and snagged something off a loadboard or Landstar's public loads.

highwayMike, oldog1984 and Gizmo61 Thank this.
  7. Macknificent1

Macknificent1 Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2017
    So there is money to be made with malone? I see those guys come through my area near i95 in FT bragg area just never spoken to anyone actually working with them all i see here is horrible reviews

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    It always starts out good in the beginning. As time goes on. It's a different story.

As for 25%. That pretty much the norm no matter who you work for or are leased on to. If the company is any good anyways. Most of the REAL o/o companies take 25%. AFTER FSC.

Gizmo61 and JimmyWells Thank this.
  9. KeithT1967

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    There's always money to be made. Most of the drivers I've talked to who are unhappy with the money are doing Malone's "bread and butter" runs with a regular flat. Tarping and untarping twice a day for short runs in low paying lanes is stupid in my opinion. I could run steel from Ohio/Indiana to Bama and lumber back 3 times a week and make less than I'm making for this 3 day run from Iowa to Oregon. I'm running less total miles to boot and I didn't have to tarp or throw chains. If I don't find something I like coming out I know exactly where I can find something well paying, light, and no tarp required with a bit of 10mpg deadhead.

oldog1984, Gizmo61 and fargonaz Thank this.
  10. KeithT1967

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    Really? AFTER FSC?? Huh.. Malone takes their 25% AFTER FSC.

And this is one place where the beginning is a stupid hard struggle unless you find a mentor. You don't know where the good lanes are, you don't know how to set up out of network freight. You don't know the sweethart agents who'll go out of their way to get you loaded with something juicy. And most importantly.. you have NO clue which agents will try to bend you over ever chance they get.

oldog1984 and Gizmo61 Thank this.
  11. AtticusRoad

AtticusRoad Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Indiana
    Uh oh, I know how these threads end.

Good luck!

May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favor - Effie GIF - Thehungergames ___.gif

JimmyWells and Joetro Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.