CRST what kind of training?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Prospect785, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Prospect785

Prospect785 Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Hello,
    I am wondering about the type of training new drivers receive through CRST. Specifically, I want to know how much training involves hazardous weather, snow, ice, black ice, etc. Does anyone know the procedures and how they train drivers to react in these environments?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Depends when you train with them I imagine. Kinda hard to train someone in the snow during the summer.

WesternPlains, Puppage and buddyd157 Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    After you complete their cdl school, you'll run teams for 10 months in all weather/all terrain. That's your training. That's more than you get with most companies. Some companies cut you loose and on your own after about 10 days, but CRST it's 10 months.
    Depends on if you're a fast learner or not. Some new cdl drivers need a full 10 months training and some are ready to roll in 2 weeks.

5. Prospect785

Prospect785 Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2017
    How did you get this info? My buddy told me its 28 days and they never gave any real training on proper procedures for cold weather driving. He got into a bit of a problem on how to drive in icy conditions and the rig spun into a ditch. Just don't want that to happen to me!

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Part of the info is on their website and the rest is on this forum posted by other drivers.
    Your buddy shouldn't have been driving on ice anyway; that's why he spun out and crashed into a ditch. Wintry, snowy roads are different than ice. I was driving on winter roads not long after graduating from a 10 day cdl school and had no problems. I'm not special, just safety conscious.
    Millions of miles a year are driven by truckers on wintry roads and very few of them are involved in incidents.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    CrappieJunkie Thanks this.
  7. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    It's most likely because they allow people with only a few months experience to train other drivers. This has unfortunately become common place in the industry.

At crst not only will you be trained by someone that most likely barely knows how to complete the company papper work you will then be teamed up with someone ( Your co driver) who will have no clue about driving a 32k to 80k lb WMD because he received the same type of training.
    Yes that's right you'll be putting your life in a strangers hand.

8. BrownEyedGirI

BrownEyedGirI Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Cincinnati
    Yes, with CRST you're only with a trainer for 28 (or as few as 21) days. You will be with a co-driver for the remainder of your 10 month commitment. Whether the time with your co-driver can be considered "training" depends on who you end up teamed with. Many drivers become friends in training and end up pairing up so it can be like the blind leading the blind. Not to mention the fact that your trainer could possibly be a driver with only 6 months of experience in the first place.

To get to your original question, as someone who just completed their CDL school this past winter, there wasn't a lot of training in school on how to deal with adverse weather/road conditions. They only teach you enough for you to pass the test for your CDL. They shift the responsibility for everything else on your trainer and depending on their knowledge, how well they teach and a list of other factors, it may never come up. Even though real-world training and experience can be the most helpful, I can also attest to the fact that their safety mantra is to never drive in conditions where you don't feel comfortable. This includes weather, road conditions, sickness, lack of sleep, etc. No one has ever given my co-driver and I any crap ever for shutting down based on road conditions. As someone else mentioned, your friend shouldn't have been driving in those conditions. The company does a pretty good job in the winter of warning you about weather/road conditions before you make it to the affected area. Depending on the conditions, they almost always impose mandatory slow downs and mandatory shut downs before you would get into a situation like that.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions about their training.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    I saw on today's drudge report a crst driver pulled his rig up on the boardwalk ...in Jersey I think...and then tried to keep driving! He did alright until the boardwalk made a 90 degree turn. I wonder if that's covered in their training manual?

WesternPlains Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The boardwalk should have some type of barrier to keep trucks out. They bear some responsibility for this happening every now and then.

11. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Yes your trainer will show you how to make it to the beach with GPS.

WesternPlains and UturnGirl Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.