Crude Oil Owner Operator- Profit & Loss Statement (Full Disclosure)

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Rockdoctor, Nov 1, 2018.

1. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    Complete rumour. Pretty much every truck we have in the town where I work has one.

Parts = $850-$1500 depending on model
    Install = 1.5-2.5 hours depending on model

I paid $1300 installed ( CAD ) last time I got my truck outfitted with one

Dave_in_AZ, Rockdoctor and AModelCat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 59EX

59EX Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Honestly I'm looking at your numbers and I'm not that impressed. Running a team operation you could make that hauling reefer or car hauling.

Not trying to knock you by any means I just find it interesting that the reason you're successful is because you had a good business plan more than because you were making "oilfield money".

If you went off your gross and divided it by 2, that's right around $165K. If I am correct in thinking, most owner operators pay around 30% to driver out in the patch. So if I was a driver working for an owner-operator making 30% with your company, I would have grossed around $45K in 10 months.

Just some food for thought to people that are chasing that oil field money.

Ruthless, Rockdoctor and DSK333 Thank this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Might trip out on the road if the company bought those posi airs that balance spring pressure against incoming airflow. I like the Shocker's the best. Very well made units and clean installs.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    Rockdoctor and Lepton1 Thank this.
  5. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Exactly and all the Driver's making is $17.36/hr straight time on a 72 hour week.

6. Rockdoctor

Rockdoctor Medium Load Member

No problem, I said at the beginning I'm opening myself up to all kinds of criticism. In fact I welcome the suggestions of other opportunities outside oil. I have a friend who left oil and is now doing petrochemical and he seems to be doing very well.

The purpose of this post is to share my experience as I get approached all the time by company drivers seeking info on becoming an O/O in crude. It's not easy, I just leased on to a new company. It took me about 24 hours to find a new gig crude hauling, but I have not made a dime since OCT 30 and I have had to spend money.

Anyway, thanks for reading and the suggestions.

Dave_in_AZ, jmajor12, DSK333 and 3 others Thank this.
  7. Skypilotj

Skypilotj Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2017
    I hope you are doing better with the company you are leased to now.

8. Rockdoctor

I am! The company I left is experiencing a mass exodus by company drivers, at least in East TX. It appears they did not plan for the future of their business in the oilfield and they are losing market share to other competitors. Some of these competitors have come as far as Montana to Texas to eat their lunch.

I am happy for the new opportunity and it just goes to show there is still a huge amount of demand for drivers as I was able to secure a place at the new company in less than 48HRs.

Aovy Thanks this.
  9. Skypilotj

Oct 4, 2017
    I haul along side the same guys you hauled for. They are all getting their own trucks and walking away.

10. Rockdoctor

A lot of the company drivers are leaving them and going over to Jupiter here in East TX. Jupiter buys their own oil and is taking market share from the other company.

I can't complain I made a lot of money with the other company over 4.5 years but they didn't want to pursue any long hauls and the rates have not risen at all for the O/O so got to catch the next wave up and not stagnate.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  11. Skypilotj

Oct 4, 2017
    All they do out west of Pecos is short hauls on bad roads for low pay.
    I want out of here as quick as I can get my own truck ready to work.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.