Crude Oil Owner Operator- Profit & Loss Statement (Full Disclosure)

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Rockdoctor, Nov 1, 2018.

1. ldi

ldi Bobtail Member

May 8, 2014
    So used testing equipment is the way to go?
    Had any good or bad experiences with buying crude equipment in Midland/Odessa? How do there prices look compared to east Texas?
    A Good place to order this stuff online?
    Right now im working on my truck just east of Dallas because the shop rates from Bigspring to Pecos are $STUPID$. and id rather lay in the grass then the sand.

Any recommendations on how and where to do some digging on a company besides a simple google search?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rockdoctor

Rockdoctor Medium Load Member

SkyPilot is right on, LK is a good source. I even use Amazon Prime to get some of their items.

A few months back I saw someone selling whole test sets on Craigslist for prices that led me to believe the items were stolen, LOL!

As far as what you need, this package is a good outline of the items used to buy the oil...

Hauler’s Package (Basic equipment) - Package Deals & Service Plans

Also the carrier you are leasing on to should provide you with a checklist. You can see it is quite an upfront investment.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    SoTxTrucker Thanks this.
  4. ldi

ldi Bobtail Member

May 8, 2014
    RockinChair Thanks this.
  5. Rockdoctor

October and November were rough months due to me transitioning to a new company! Good thing I had a nice cushion in the bank because in September I had to give the IRS a huge quarterly payment.

I did not have much revenue coming in OCT because the company I was leased to was slow. On top of that, a field supervisor at said company decided he was going to give the work to his buddies who had just come over from a competitor even though I had been with this company for over 4 years. That was what pushed me over the edge so decided to try my luck elsewhere.

Made 1 call to a carrier I had been researching and got an offer that day to come aboard with them. Unfortunately the transition took a couple of weeks. I had to drive to another state, pick up one of their trailers, sign a contract, get drug tested, and go out in the field locally to prove I knew how to work oil. All of that took 8 days to accomplish. I knew it would not be an instant transition but now I see why O/O get 'stuck' at some carriers because you will need a money cushion to make the move.

November was bad because of the transition time but also I had to put the truck in the shop for a repair. Shop said 6 days well it took 10 so there goes that 1/3 of the month. On top of that issue, the new carrier I leased onto only pay every 2 weeks so I got one partial settlement from my old company and one partial settlement from the new company in November.

For OCT I did $8,386 in revenue and had a $10,109 loss

For NOV I did $12,980 in revenue and had a $10,979 loss

These are the first losses I have taken since I started as an O/O. December will be better. I will post those numbers and my final numbers for the year once I close the books on Dec.

6. arhstrongman

arhstrongman Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2018
    Thank you for sharing information!

Rockdoctor Thanks this.
  7. blindsidebacker4life

blindsidebacker4life Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Thanks for sharing actual data despite it being somehow taboo or stigma around here to share accurate revenue/salary data.. God forbid someone change hundredths or tenths and not mention company names to keep useful data anonymous and avoid all the worldly-illiterate BS..

The net is what a veteran CPM OTR driver would be making in 2018 if the industry properly adjusted to inflation after the eighties... With ELD and 65MPH governed truck doing 3k a week.. I already make over 1/3 the net and I just started at a mega carrier so it's not THAT lucrative..

Rockdoctor Thanks this.
  8. Rockdoctor

Thanks everyone for the feedback, good and bad! I appreciated those who posted comments on the thread and also to all the people who wrote me directly. I even met a driver who had seen this post before he knew me so it is truly a small world. I'm going to post a little commentary and detail, but for those who just want to see the numbers, you can skip to the section at the very bottom.

I closed the books on 2018. As you know, I struggled thru OCT and NOV as I transitioned over to a new carrier. I still had some revenue come in for both of those months but took over $20,000 in losses. SO, lesson is, if you are going to swap carriers you better have some cash in the bank!

WHAT COULD I DO BETTER? Lots!

- I'm reconditioning an old truck. I've had to dump a lot of money into it on fixes that should last me a long time.

- I'm paying less for bobtail and health insurance in 2019

- I'm paying less in 2019 for supplies as I didn't have when I started but I will continue to use into the future

BUT WAIT, IT'S NOT ALL GOOD NEWS!

- I signed onto a new carrier. They are charging me $3000 per month to lease the trailer and all of the supplies I need to work and load oil. I'm not happy about this one. I looked for some good used 200B 407 tankers and there is a lot of junk on the market. If I continue down this path I will introduce a new expense I barely had in 2018 at a cost of $36,000 for the year. Ouch...

- My fuel bill is going up drastically. I was once doing short local work sometimes only driving 100 miles per shift but now I have signed on to run a dedicated long haul of oil from West TX to South TX. I'm now driving over 730 miles per day and spending roughly $350 per run on fuel with no fuel surcharge. If diesel prices pick up in the year as I suspect they will, the high fuel bill will surely damage my earnings.

- I can no longer split shift this truck. In 2018 I had a day driver who ran the truck 12 hours in the day and I ran it 12 hours at night. Now with this dedicated run taking between 13.5-15 HRS (running under Texas oilfield hours), it is not working out split shifting the truck and the truck is sitting daily for roughly 9 hours earning zero income.

CONSIDERING ALL OPTIONS...

At this point I'm pleased with my revenue but I do not think I will do as well in 2019 if I continue down the current path.

Option 1: Buy another truck, lease it onto the same long haul and pay $6000 per month in trailer fees plus the added expenses of owning another truck but double the revenue before expenses

Option 2: Buy a 407 tanker, return the leased tanker saving myself $36,000 per year in fees but taking on the insurance and maintenance responsibilities of owning a tanker and revenue for 2019 will fall because the truck will not be split shifted

Option 3: Change carriers once again, lose money in the transition but find an operation which will allow me to slip seat the truck I have

SO, what is your opinion? What could I do better??

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REVENUE $377,087.23, $31,423.94 per month average
    1479 loads of crude oil hauled

EXPENSES
    Accounting $1,302.69 (payroll and accountant, tax software)
    Communication $4,130.00 (cell phone, wifi, cable TV service, eFax, sat radio)
    Fees $1,421.89 (Safety training, overweight bond & permit)
    Fuel $60,044.92 (90 day average 6.8 MPG, 6.1 MPG all miles)
    Insurance $19,055.31 (workers comp, bobtail, employee health)
    Maintenance $48,221.30 (oil changes, tires, repairs)
    Office $942.38 (postage, supplies, research, business PO Box)
    Rent/Lease $1,500.00 (storage unit for business)
    Supplies $4,054.59 (safety items, tools & items to perform work)
    Tax/License $1,063.25 (base plate, 2290 tax)
    Truck Lease (none- truck purchased with cash in late 2017)
    Trailer Lease $3,800.00 ($3000 per month with new carrier)
    Scales $70.13
    Tolls/Parking $96.00
    Travel $12,215.32 (business trip expenses)
    Uniforms $960.00
    Wages $75,710.84 (one employee, not the O/O)

TOTAL EXPENSES $234,588.62, $19,549.05 per month average 62.21%

TOTAL TAKE HOME BEFORE TAXES $142,498.61, $11,874.88 per month average, 37.79%

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Seattle206 and d o g Thank this.
  9. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Revenue is great. Per mile revenue is great. Expenses are terrible. I'll look closer at the end of your post later tonight.

Rockdoctor Thanks this.
  10. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    I was waiting for someone to post a detailed revenue for Crude oil. Long story short... If you actually owned the trailer and didnt lease then you would make more money.. I didnt see a truck payment so I assume you own the truck outright... also those wages, was that you being the driver or did you have someone driving for you?

11. Rockdoctor

I didn't have a trailer payment except for part of NOV and all of DEC so didn't matter much in 2018 but I am worried about 2019.

Yes I purchased the truck with cash. It's a used Coronado glider with a Series 60 and 500K miles on it.

Wages are for the day driver take home was for the night driver (me).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.