Crude owner operator question on costs (fuel, maintenance, etc)

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Rockdoctor, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Rockdoctor

Rockdoctor Medium Load Member

I made the jump from company driver to O/O late last year and so far it seems to be working out. However my maintenance costs seem to be high so I was wondering if any other crude O/O could give me a percentage breakdown of their fuel and maintenance costs so I know what to shoot for.

Also thought about putting this question in the 'Ask an owner operator forum' but crude %'s are going to be way different than OTR O/O due to rough roads, short hauls, running a PTO pump etc.

Thanks for any insight!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    Lots of holes in your question:
    Fuel, how long is your run from refineries to lease, how many trips, how much idle/pto time do you have.
    Avg mpg for me is 5.7,
    lease roads can get expensive on tires, other items can be beat to hell but can be minimized if you drive with in reason.
    Do you own the trailer?
    You getting % load, or? How long are wait times.
    I use diesel for grind out so no cost there on solvent, do have some if needed.
    My FR cost me around 500 a year, probably on the low side.
    Hard to say on your other expenses.

4. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    If I understood your question, your maintenance costs are high, correct? Seems to me you have mechanical issues not cost issues. You should be asking what can I do different in the day to day operation of the truck to avert mechanical issues.

What are you driving, year, make and model along with which motor? What problems are you facing mechanically? Be specific.

5. cjb logistics

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    Truck should be making at least 700.00/day, avg on this rate at 30 days, 21,000.00 to truck. Miles if I had to assume your run times, and loading/unloading, 10,800 miles/ month.
    These numbers would be two loads for me in my truck. 6,500.00 month fuel bill.
    Now you can't run 30 days a month so back out that time, and extra fuel.
    That puts you under 2.00 running mile.
    Longer distances, more load pay, more fuel. Lots of variables.
    Made more sense to me to drive for someone else, so that is what I am doing now.
    Try to keep your loads above 1.97 running mile.

6. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    Frackers work on a different set of numbers. ..... get the cheapest truck that runs that you can find run it to the wheels fall off then get something else ..... if you take a decent truck into the oil fields your not going to have a decent truck very long . maintenance will eat you up

7. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    We always hunted down old Petes and and Stars, had a few old Freightliner Classic day cabs too that held up very nicely. We did have 5 NEW Ryder Freightliner day cabs with the emissions, they rarely ran, if one was running out of the five we were doing good. Myself, I had a 97 FLD flat top, old Series 60 w/15 speed, ran that truck for two years with only a pinion seal failure, which was caught and repaired immediately. And I did not beat on the equipment... I left that outfit and heard the guy that got my old FLD broke it beyond repair in the first few days of him getting it.

Oh, this was in North Dakota.

heartlessangel7 Thanks this.
  8. cjb logistics

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    Dude is talking crude, not sand.

Even in sand, so many #### trucks doing it I stopped hauling sand, and a double #### wreck in Tx.

9. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Oil field is oil field, fracking, hauling sand, water, Y grade, LNG, Propane etc...

10. cjb logistics

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    True!!

Still a #### wreck in Midland. Think a guy would do just as good OTR.

Oil field is not what it used to be!

11. Rockdoctor

Rockdoctor Medium Load Member

Yes I should have been more clear. I thought there might be a formula- x% on maintenance, x% on fuel, etc.

So right now for 2018 I'm at:

12.6% on fuel ( I also get 5.7MPG)
    11.8% on maintenance
    15.7% on wages to my driver (I split shift the truck)
    3.9% on insurance (this is to insure the truck and pay for my drivers health care insurance)

48.9% is my profit margin before I pay taxes. I was trying to figure out if these numbers are average or if one of these expenses is too high.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.