Cruise wont set after having speed incresed

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Yoda2379, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Yoda2379

Yoda2379 Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2017
    Ok this my first post all just got a 2016 volvo vnl 730 drove home from Ohio
    Cruise worked perfect no problem
    Take to volvo to have a check up done
    No problems
    While there had them up cruise speed to 72 and peddle to 80
    Head out peddle at 80
    But cruise will not set any speed
    Tried many recommendations from here
    No results
    Go back to volvo they hook up computer and peddle at 80 but cruise says 70 not 72
    Anyone have any advise I thinking they set a parimiter wrong causing cruise to disable cause idle cruise works
    Truck has 136,000 miles
    Could they have set the minimum to 72 by accident and possibly causing this
    72 min cruise with 70 max cruise
    Thinking would make me never able to set
    Of course volvo won't listen to me
    Something must of broke is there answer and now have paid two shops hours in labor. To say sorry we show it should work

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    They did something wrong, tell them to fix it.

4. CoyoteExpress

CoyoteExpress Medium Load Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Carlingford NB Canada
    Try
    Go on drive speed
    Try to set cc speed
    If not set step on brakepaddle a bit .. only so that the brakelights go on for a sec.
    Try to set cc again ...
    If not work
    Try to pull with your foot the brakepaddle up and set cc

If not work wait for more answers

Good luck

5. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Just the other day my buddy called me and said his cruise did the same when resetting his parked idle speed. For some reason when he changed his idle speed, the program automatically unchecked his cruise control option, turning it off. I would imagine the same happened to you. Real PIA when it happens, but a quick fix with the right tools. Fortunately we both have Cummins Insite and Calterm to make these changes ourselves. If you do not have the software, another trip to the dealer is more than likely called for.

6. Gentlemanfarmer

Gentlemanfarmer Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Greenville, FL
    The same thing happened to my 2014 Volvo after a recall part replacement. To get the cruise control to reset I have to push the brake pedal all the way to the floor while parked or do a quick jab while driving. Next time you go to the dealer, have them reset the brake pressure for cruise reset. But in the mean time try to push brake pedal down hard while parked.

7. Jdr1981

Jdr1981 Bobtail Member

Nov 22, 2017
    If you look near the top of the brake pedal arm theres a relay switch with a small spring attached to it, when the brake pedal is released the pedal contacts the spring and activates the relay which lets you set high idle and cruise control. If high idles not working try pulling the spring backwards lightly till you hear a click(relay activating)and hold it there,then try and set high idle, If it works while holding the spring back but not when the spring is released the relay needs to be replaced or adjustted. We had that problem on one of our fleet trucks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.