Cummins ISM Egr

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Internationalrich, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Flying Finn

Flying Finn Heavy Load Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I had my exhaust gas temps, oil temps, and coolant temps go up a little bit. Mileage and idle improved quite a bit. Had a bump in power as well pulling the Rockies.

Internationalrich Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Internationalrich

Internationalrich Bobtail Member

Dec 17, 2010
    So Far So Good... I cut a gasket of stainless to match the old gasket (except solid) and sealed it with indianhead sealer...

I unplugged both electrical leads to the egr and taped them off.
    It seems to run stronger and idle better...the turbo does not kick in as much..

ran it about 50 miles bobtail , the first 30 miles ,the mileage was the same..then it increased dramatically...about 2 mpg aqccording to peoplenet..

should I also block the inlet at the cooler ?

The codes are still showing, I tried disconnecting the batteeries to clear them, but they are still there...any ideas how to clear them ??????

Thanks Again for all the Help !!!!!

4. Flying Finn

Jun 22, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Do you mean the inlet of coolant to the cooler? If it isn't leaking I'd say leave it. Once you seal off the exhaust manifold from the EGR cooler and piping before the turbo you are pretty much good to go.

If I recall, the codes don't normally make a difference other than being annoying. Mine would throw a code once in a while but it never affected the engine or mileage. Only thing is to run it and see how everything reacts. I left my valve and such plugged in so the ECU would know they were still there and not worry about them.

5. Internationalrich

Dec 17, 2010
    Sounds Great !!! Your My Hero !!!!

6. Flying Finn

Jun 22, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Now that is going too far. LOL

Thanks, though. Glad to try to help anyone I can. If you have your fuel and mileage records from past months. Try to calculate your old mpg's and then start tracking the new. I was getting almost 8mpg in an '08 Pete 389. Aerodynamic as a brick but with some 'testing' and work it was a good match.

I spent months fiddling around and trying to find out how to 'fix' the EGR issues on my ISX. I do really like that engine. Runs really well, good fuel economy, and fairly easy to work on mechanically. Now, if I can get rid of the DPF system it would be even better. That bugger is expensive to clean and is just a waste of space and weight.

7. Internationalrich

Dec 17, 2010
    Running an 06 intl 9200 pro w/ ism was getting 4-5 mpg loaded or empty before fix ...yesterday w/ loaded # 78,000 lbs 6.4...... wow today w/ empty container 8.2..
    it seems to be doing better every day, also seems to be blowing carbon out and running stronger every day...

Thanks Again !!!

Rich

8. Flying Finn

Jun 22, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
  9. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    FF,

All DPF systems should be put to use as a boat anchor. Thats all they are really worth to truckers.

Rich,

Good to see your problem was fixed and mpg improved.

KH

10. Internationalrich

Dec 17, 2010
    was running great ...and then all of a sudden turbo quit... will go in and out ... some boost.. then no boost...checked turbo, and it is moving smoothly.. no signs of damage.. starts and runs good , just wont pull anything ..
    any suggestions?

Rich

11. Flying Finn

Jun 22, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Probably a variable vane turbo. Mine had issues whether the EGR was blocked or not. There is an actuator that moves the vanes in order to get max boost at all rpm's. Cummins told me that the actuator rod will stick and this will cause the turbo to 'stall' at times.

Check that actuator and rod to make sure it moves freely. What boost pressures are you getting? Maybe it is derating because of an overboost?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.